Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pitman arm!
Thread: Pitman arm!
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 PM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-FUNK23
I am in school right now to be an auto tech and my teacher (with 30+ years in the business) tells me i need a pitman arm to correct my steering problems but everybody else says i don't... thanks for your help
He should know BUT just in case double check that the part you need is attached to the steering box. The box has a splined shaft that the pitman arm with matching splines slides on. It is usually attached with a bolt going through a indent in the shaft. If you do need a pitman arm your better check the shaft on the steering box. You don't say how your arm is damaged but a pitman arm is so robust that I can't imagine it being damaged without also damaging the steering box. I have seen where the splines were stripped/damaged and the pitman arm was welded on which to me is a no-no.

I needed one for a mustang box I purchased and found a NOS on eBay. You might want to try that route. Do your research first. You will have to know the diameter of the shaft and the number of splines. Also the shape is of a concern. You have to know what you need before buying.

Hope this helps.