Pitman Arm Nut Size???(mm or std.) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2005, 06:47 PM
84 Mutt

Last journal entry: Steering column
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pitman Arm Nut Size???(mm or std.)

I have a GM quick box from an 86 Monte SS. I need(want) to replace the pitman arm and I don't know the proper size socket to use.I've tried to use my 1 1/4 socket and it just sits on the edge of the nut.The nut measures an 1 1/4+(heavy) so I think it's metric. What size (mm) is close to 1 1/4 (standard)???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2005, 08:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slant3
I have a GM quick box from an 86 Monte SS. I need(want) to replace the pitman arm and I don't know the proper size socket to use.I've tried to use my 1 1/4 socket and it just sits on the edge of the nut.The nut measures an 1 1/4+(heavy) so I think it's metric. What size (mm) is close to 1 1/4 (standard)???
I think it is 1-5/16"...the bummer is that most sockets that size are 3/4" drive so you will need an adapter as well.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:57 PM
84 Mutt

Last photo:

Thanks Triaged!!! I was able to get a 1-5/16 impact socket in 1/2 size.Worked like a charm.(I wish I could say that for my pitman puller)After snapping the first one(my old one) I picked up a heavy duty puller($45 later)and worked great.
Thx again,
Ant.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slant3
Thanks Triaged!!! I was able to get a 1-5/16 impact socket in 1/2 size.Worked like a charm.(I wish I could say that for my pitman puller)After snapping the first one(my old one) I picked up a heavy duty puller($45 later)and worked great.
Thx again,
Ant.
Glad I could help.

Impact socket...I'll have to try that. I bet it is 6-point too. Mine is 12-point and I had to get an adapter...but I haven't had any problems with it so far. It is hard to strip out something that big...even with the HUGE torque spec for a pitman arm (it is something like 180+ft*lb IIRC).

Edit: Last pitman arm I pulled off (from a 70's ford van) was too big to fit in my pitman arm puller. I had to use a 3-jaw puller and ended up snapping it I think I then went to the pickle fork
I think every pitman arm I have messed with used a 1-5/16" socket.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:28 PM
84 Mutt

Last photo:

Yup. 6 point and $20.00. I got it from a store around the corner from me called Paramount Tool(should be the second listing if you google it). They have tools I have never seen before , but a little pricey.This was the first for me and it took about 30 sec. for the nut to come off and about 20 min. for the arm to come loose. Good thing for WD-40 and air tools. The guy showed me the 12 point,- made in china socket and it was 3/4 drive ,but he said he would go with the impact socket for $12.00 more.(And it is 1/2).This is off an 84 Cutlass.

Ant.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.