Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pitted Metal On Winshield Frame
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 07:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD MORGAN
After removing my windshield I found allot of surface rust. I used a 3m "rust remover" wheel on my drill and then soaked the frame in naval jelly. Now I have have clean but pitted metal. What should I do next? I have allot of supplies to work with. I have some ppg epoxy primer, por-15, por patch, and some rattle cans of eastwood's rust Encapsulator. I was thinking of using the epoxy primer, then the por patch to fill the pits, and then top coating with another coat of epoxy primer. Is this the right procedure or should I try the por 15 paint?
If any of those pits still have black rust in there, use more naval jelly and get it out with your wheel. Poke the pits with an awl and make sure you don't have any holes. If you do, weld them up with a mig and grind flat. Then sand the area with 80 grit paper and coat with 2 coats of epoxy primer. (You can brush it on.) Then re-install your windshield. I recently did this and used the SPI epoxy primer. It is good stuff.
And,btw, MartinSr posted a real good windshield install how-to in the FAQ's.