Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Pitted Metal On Winshield Frame (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pitted-metal-winshield-frame-74052.html)

RICHARD MORGAN 11-15-2005 06:21 AM

Pitted Metal On Winshield Frame

After removing my windshield I found allot of surface rust. I used a 3m "rust remover" wheel on my drill and then soaked the frame in naval jelly. Now I have have clean but pitted metal. What should I do next? I have allot of supplies to work with. I have some ppg epoxy primer, por-15, por patch, and some rattle cans of eastwood's rust Encapsulator. I was thinking of using the epoxy primer, then the por patch to fill the pits, and then top coating with another coat of epoxy primer. Is this the right procedure or should I try the por 15 paint?

roger1 11-15-2005 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICHARD MORGAN
After removing my windshield I found allot of surface rust. I used a 3m "rust remover" wheel on my drill and then soaked the frame in naval jelly. Now I have have clean but pitted metal. What should I do next? I have allot of supplies to work with. I have some ppg epoxy primer, por-15, por patch, and some rattle cans of eastwood's rust Encapsulator. I was thinking of using the epoxy primer, then the por patch to fill the pits, and then top coating with another coat of epoxy primer. Is this the right procedure or should I try the por 15 paint?

If any of those pits still have black rust in there, use more naval jelly and get it out with your wheel. Poke the pits with an awl and make sure you don't have any holes. If you do, weld them up with a mig and grind flat. Then sand the area with 80 grit paper and coat with 2 coats of epoxy primer. (You can brush it on.) Then re-install your windshield. I recently did this and used the SPI epoxy primer. It is good stuff.
And,btw, MartinSr posted a real good windshield install how-to in the FAQ's.

RICHARD MORGAN 11-15-2005 07:36 AM

Should I use the por patch stuff to fill in the "pits"? When I used the rust removing wheel I grinded away the paint about 2" past the window gasket. If I brush on the epoxy primer will the future painter of the truck have issues with any brush streaks? Should i use one of those little 3" rollers? Or can he just simply just sand them out?

roger1 11-15-2005 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICHARD MORGAN
Should I use the por patch stuff to fill in the "pits"? When I used the rust removing wheel I grinded away the paint about 2" past the window gasket. If I brush on the epoxy primer will the future painter of the truck have issues with any brush streaks? Should i use one of those little 3" rollers? Or can he just simply just sand them out?

I wouldn't use the por product.
In the area past your window gasket, I would use a polyester glazing putty (spread like bondo) over the sanded epoxy and then block sand the glazing to smooth out the surface where those pits are. Then spray a 2K urethane primer over the glazing and do a final blocking.
(Sandpaper wrapped around a paint stirring stick cut to about 3 inches long works well for blocking out small areas like this.) Block your glazing with 120 then 180 grit dry and your urethane primer with 400 wet.