Pitted Rust - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2002, 03:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well guys, this is the route I decided to take.
First I took a 80 grit grinding disk on a electric buffer (1750 rpm) and lightly ground the whole coupe being creful not to put big grind marks in the metal. Then I took ti outside and sandblasted around the all the hard to get areas and any spot that looked like it was deep pitted rust. then I took a da and 80 grit da paper and went over the fenders, and trunk ( I have these parts removed). Then I took and scrubbed the parts with a sos pad and bonami. Then I applied ppg's dx579 with a scotch brite, waited 2-3 minutes and then rinsed off the parts and then repeated the process with ppg's dx 520. Let this sit for 1-2 minutes then rinse and DRY. Then I used Variprime on all the parts. Tonight I hope to get the body done and then coat the whole thing with epoxy primer. This may seem like a long tedious process but I figure just material for the topcoat will coat me about a $1000. I plan on useing a candy apple red and anypody that knows anything about paint knows how expensive that is. Anyway, the paint is only as good as the substrate under it.
If anyone has any other suggestions or think I went to far on the way I did this I would be interested in hearing from you.
Totter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2002, 07:55 AM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

I have to second Maverick's opinion - check out Zero Rust. No isocyanites in that stuff and it's a LOT cheaper.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:34 PM

Sounds like you will have a damn good undercoat the way you have ended up doing it. You already know candy apple red is a lot higher than some others. I guarantee you it usually takes twice as much damn near every time. I have sprayed a ****load in the last 30 years of fancy paint and bodywork. And a bunch of very hard hit totals. I'll try to check the site more regular but if anybody needs some information in the middle of something, they can e-mail to webzon@worldnet.att.net I check it more regularly

[ August 14, 2002: Message edited by: johnny 1986 ]</p>

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.