place to buy parts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 07:11 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

place to buy parts

Where is a good place to buy used parts for a SBC? I'm throwing a project together and I was thinking of running a discontinued edelbrock manifold- mostly for the look.

I know about ebay, but are there any other places to look for used sbc parts? There was a good race auction site I found a while back but I can't seem to "refind" it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

Racing junk.com
Old 12-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,008 Times in 847 Posts
craigslist
Old 12-22-2008, 07:13 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

i know craigslist well- problem is sometimes people on there think a used holley 600 is worth $400... I have gotten a few good deals off of there though, and sold some of my extra crap. It's also a great place to find local hotrodders.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

If you know your stuff, the pick-a-part is a great resource. Its not consistently full of specialty parts, but the flat-rate pricing can't be beat.

I often times go at least once a week. The $2 to get in is more than offset by the in-depth knowledge you get from watching the inventory and knowing what has changed. Its like spending quality time at your favorite bar; you know the prices of everything and you are observant enough to know when they add a new whiskey to the shelf.

I've been known to score some neat stuff. I nabbed an Edelbrock P4B intake for $25, ram horn manifolds for $15 each, a G-body 8.5" axle for $100, and a set of pontiac snowflake wheels for $15 each. They usually don't take the time to research things, and they are often staffed by random labor that doesn't know the value of things. Therefore they use flat-rate pricing. If you go often enough, you'll snag the valuable things before some other hotrodder grabs them.

For new stuff, Jegs and Summit can't be beat. I've recently discovered a new friend with RPM cranks and rods (www.rpmmaxx.com). They are chinese forgings, but they are really good quality for the price you pay. Several high-end builders dropped Eagle just to use RPM which is good enough proof for me. Their claim to fame is that they have never had a crank or rod returned because of failure.

Also, make friends with your local undercar warehouse distributor. Often they will sell wholesale to you directly. They might feel better if you give them a phony business name, but many of them don't care.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:55 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
If you know your stuff, the pick-a-part is a great resource. Its not consistently full of specialty parts, but the flat-rate pricing can't be beat.

I often times go at least once a week. The $2 to get in is more than offset by the in-depth knowledge you get from watching the inventory and knowing what has changed. Its like spending quality time at your favorite bar; you know the prices of everything and you are observant enough to know when they add a new whiskey to the shelf.

I've been known to score some neat stuff. I nabbed an Edelbrock P4B intake for $25, ram horn manifolds for $15 each, a G-body 8.5" axle for $100, and a set of pontiac snowflake wheels for $15 each. They usually don't take the time to research things, and they are often staffed by random labor that doesn't know the value of things. Therefore they use flat-rate pricing. If you go often enough, you'll snag the valuable things before some other hotrodder grabs them.

For new stuff, Jegs and Summit can't be beat. I've recently discovered a new friend with RPM cranks and rods (www.rpmmaxx.com). They are chinese forgings, but they are really good quality for the price you pay. Several high-end builders dropped Eagle just to use RPM which is good enough proof for me. Their claim to fame is that they have never had a crank or rod returned because of failure.

Also, make friends with your local undercar warehouse distributor. Often they will sell wholesale to you directly. They might feel better if you give them a phony business name, but many of them don't care.

I already do most of that- but its great ideas! I'm sure it'll help others. Our JY admission is still only $2 down here.

The current sought after item for me is an obscure sbc intake- none in particular just something I can pop the hood and point to. I was looking at maybe a TM1- its not optimal for my combo but this project is hodge podge anyway.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:32 PM
*** Please post solutions ***

Last photo:

http://www.mrracingequipment.com/
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Psychomotors

Hey Ap72,there is a swap meet at Belleville.Il. Sunday ,Dec.28th.I used to sell there every year but just don't have the time currently.It's always a good time.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.