Planning Interiors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 01:06 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Planning Interiors

OK, I hit the search function, and didn't see the answers I need.

I have a 39 Chevy 2dr sedan that I am building. I am close to being finished with the floors, and I have to think about a steering column and interior.

I was told by a friend, that builds, that I should have the seats prior to placing the steering column. That way, I can get the right drop. OK, makes sense.

Can anyone tell me how to go about finding the right seats to fit? Is there a website that lists seat widths? The fronts are not a problem, but the back seat looks like booger to get. I want the style to match the fronts as well. My preference is to make a console between the fronts, and even run the console up to the package tray. (Similar to the old vettes.)

Should I get the actual seats, to fab brackets ,etc. of just use the dimensions and make a wood seat? I just hate the thought of the seats kicking around, getting eaten by mice, until the car is done. I have a book on interiors, but it doens't mention the planning stages.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

You are pretty much on your own there! Go to Pick-A-Part with a tape measure and see what they have to offer. Seats don't need to be from the same car or even be the same style - in my pickup project I am using a Buick 60/40 power split bench in front and the old pickup seat cushion and a custom built back in the rear - The new upholstery will tie it all together. How about a mini-pickup back and cushion for the rear seat?
Old 01-14-2005, 05:51 PM

If you find a set of buckets that you like, get the rear seats from the car also. A good trim shop can cut down the rear seat to fit. I just picked up a set of seats yesterday for 41 Lincoln Convertible. The seats came from a 99 Dodge Intrepid, and the rear seat will require narrowing about 8 inches. This works out perfect because the center insert of the seat is 8 inches wide with a folddown armrest which will be removed.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:06 AM

Hi ! I'm right in the middle of placing the steering column and seats in my 39 Chevy 2dr. Mine had the rear seat frame so am going to use it. I looked at a lot of buckets for the front and got a pair out of a toyoto forerunner.I took these because they felt more comfortable to sit in as compared to others.They have a flatter bottom than most do, and are a bit bigger than a pair of Camaro seats that I did have.I am using a tilt column from a G.M. fullsize pickup right now. You need both seats and colunm to rough mount at the same time to get everything spaced right, so that you have the seat to wheel distance comfortable when the gas pedal to seat distance is right. My wife is 10 inches shorter than I am so yesterday we were mocking it up so the seat adjustment worked for both of us.The seats I'm using are going to be a tight fit. Very close to the doors on the front edge and not much roon for a console between them. Hope this helps some Jim.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:32 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

Jim-
What is the length of your column? Did you install it yet?

Jeff
Old 01-31-2005, 05:12 PM

Jeff , I just noticed your question, so went out and measured. Overall lengh from the bottom end to the nut on the top end of the shaft is about 37 " and if you had one sitting on the floor on the steering wheel, would probably stand up closer to 40''.I have it rough mounted with 5'' thru the firewall, and about 32'' from firewall to the nut. Bottom is centered about 4'' down from the spot where the vertical part of the firewall meets the angled part, and the top end of the column is centered about 2 1/2'' down from bottom edge of the dash.This seems to give enough range of adjustment on the tilt and seats positions to be comfortable for both of us. I had columns from both an S10 and Pontiac Lemans that I also tried.The S10 is shorter but would work,but didn't have column shift on it, which I want now. Hope this helps, Jim.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:28 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

Wow, that seems like a long column. I was thinking in the 28- 30" range. Good thing I didn't order one yet!

I guess when the time comes, I will select a brand of column, like Flaming River, get the O.D. , and then use a piece of PVC tubing or steel tubing, and end cap and screw a steering wheel onto the end cap. That way I can extend thru the firewall and mark it to the length I want. If I also do a shorter piece, I can get the hole position and angle...

Looks like I have to research some seats before I go any farther.. I want something that I can make a 6-8"wide center console, and still not have the seats close to the door.

Did you replace your dash? I have a B!thchen Products Dash for mine. Thats after finishing the cowl supports.

Jeff

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.