Plasma gun will not work? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 07:22 PM
here to learn

Last journal entry: finishing up the skirts
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Plasma gun will not work?

i have an older Thermal Dynamics model PAK 5XR that i was using to cut 1" plate and it was doing well until all it did was let air out, no plasma? im not sure if i got water in the line, or i used up a consumable? i press the button once and air comes out (normal) i press it again and no plasma (not normal) honestly i dont know much about this things i just know the basics of how it works, and in this case its not enough to fix it.

any ideas

thanx guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I have a Harbor Freight unit (probably all work the same) and it did the same thing. Owner's manual said if that happens, it was the contacter switch had failed. I ordered a replacement and sure enough it was the problem. Contact the manufacturer to see if they agree.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com
I have a Harbor Freight unit (probably all work the same) and it did the same thing. Owner's manual said if that happens, it was the contacter switch had failed. I ordered a replacement and sure enough it was the problem. Contact the manufacturer to see if they agree.
willys, What model H-F plasma cutter do have? Has it been good to you? I have been thinking of the 40 amp inverter type they sell. Have you had any problems with yours other than the switch? Thanks

gcrmcc.

p.s. have you started playing with your TIG welder yet?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Don't recall the model number but it has two heat settings. The contactor failed in the first couple minutes I was playing with the cutter. Infant mortality common to electronic stuff. They sent a new one out free of charge and I have put probably 20 hrs of really hard service on it and it is still going great. I cut the innards out of a Ford 390 FE block for one of my Mysterion engines (will hide alternator and AC compressor inside that empty block)with it and it never whimpered.

No still haven't fired up the TIG. We moved into a new home last year and I have been putting in back yard, building a 2-story castle playhouse for the the grand kids, drywalling and installing cabinets in my 1700 sqft shop, etc. Should be getting back to the fun stuff this summer.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:13 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE= We moved into a new home last year and I have been putting in back yard, building a 2-story castle playhouse for the the grand kids, drywalling and installing cabinets in my 1700 sqft shop, etc. Should be getting back to the fun stuff this summer.

WOW, the play house has class! Looks better than our old house. I guess I will get the H-F inverter type plasma soon, Thanks for the info.

gcrmcc

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.