Hot Rod Forum banner

Plastic edging for stapling?

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bentwings 
#1 ·
Is there a plastic edging that can be sewn in and used as a staple strip for attaching vinyl to wood? I have found the j-strips but nothing that is flat. When I stapled mine up, it just looks like after a time its going to pull through the staples.

What should I be searching for?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
yes

find a fabric shop, or even a craft store... i can't recall the name of the craft store near me but they had it... u got a auto interior shop near u.. ck it out too.. they sometimes call it "wire on".. it like wire staples in a "U" with material attached, u open it up and staple and pound it over to hide the staples...

#3 ·
Wire-on is decorative, not structural and would be overkill on something that won't ever show.

You won't have to worry about the vinyl pulling through the staples, especially if they're not fine wire staples. Only a pneumatic staple gun would have enough power to cut through the vinyl, and even then all you'd need to do is reduce the air pressure to the gun. If you're really worried about it, roll the vinyl under so there's two layers and then staple it down.

#5 ·
I do as Dan says and double over the vinyl. I have a pneumatic T-50 size stapler and with 50 psi it will put a 3/8 staple flush in oak or maple wood every time. It works great with a 5 gal air tank and a small very flexible air hose. Also have a small pancake compressor that works very well with the flex hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.