Plate of Spagetti... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 07:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Plate of Spagetti...

I have a few questions about "eliminating" some unused and some unidentified to this point wiring.

I have rebuilt my TH400 with mods, the 454 has been completely redone, and new after market gauges. I have several wires that will not be used as they are for factory gauges and I completely wired and routed the aftermarket ones into a nice tidy bundle all labeled and tucked away nicely. I have also removed the "factory smog" components and any sending units that are associated with them. The A/C has been eliminated also....thats what windows are for

My truck is wired for an AUX battery for the camper, tow package wiring for lights and electric brake controller, an AUX fan set up for my Trans cooler that I plumbed into the old A/C condenser. (I had it hot tanked and treated at a radiator shop so I would not contaminate the Trans fluid)

I would like to "eliminate" the wires that are no longer being used. I do not want to "cut" the harness and would like any advise suggestions on cleaning up the wiring Short of a new harness.

Thanks Guys and Gals, Merry Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 09:15 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi1
I would like to "eliminate" the wires that are no longer being used. I do not want to "cut" the harness and would like any advise suggestions on cleaning up the wiring Short of a new harness.

Thanks Guys and Gals, Merry Christmas.

Umm ...... cut them back and as close to the point of entry or exit into the harness bundle .. If I understand the question correctly.

"my Trans cooler that I plumbed into the old A/C condenser"

You used a condenser for an oil cooler ...... interesting.

I would think the difference of oil and freon as it relates to viscosity would limit that type of application. I envision a restrictive oil flow and a possible transmission failure due to inefficient cooling, but I guess you pulled it off... as i said interesting.. I think I would reconsider that idea see as you a installing a rebuilt 400 . Just an observation over here..
Old 12-24-2010, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

Never thought about using an AC condenser as a cooler...... did you use it in line with the radiator cooler or by it's self?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

The idea is not to cut them at all but eliminate them from being all over the place. I can tuck them into wire loom to the point that they would have come out of the original but then I have a big Ole wire loom and either one wire for the after market gauge coming out or no wire at all.

I have been thinking about smoothing the fire wall and perhaps tucking them into a cover in that area or while I have the dash pad removed for replacement routing the wires back into the cab to a covered area or compartment under the dash. This is full size GMC C2500 3/4 Ton so there is a lot of room under there.

Thank you for the heads up on the A/C condenser.

I will defiantly keep a close eye on the Trans temp and operation since I will be doing a good bit of towing to and from Eastern Washington during Spring thru Fall.

Currently my set up is:

5/16 aluminum tube A/C condenser the same width as the radiator: (29 inches) and height (22 inches) one row thick. I had it hot tanked and pressure tested at a local radiator shop.

I have Dual 11 inch electric fans connected to the trans temp sending unit/fan switch that activates the fans at 220 Deg. and shuts them off at 180

I also constructed a larger, fiberglass fan shroud for the stock engine cooling fan and four core radiator that will hold a 12x12 cotton shop towel to the condenser thru the radiator at idle without the electrics running.

An average normal (if there is such a thing) operating temp is around 190-200 Deg or so GM says.

I didn't even consider the viscosity flow obviously being different from a pressurized gas compared to pressurized liquid. 55-165 psi depending on which gear the trans is in per TCI.

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Tech...sure.asp#TH400

After checking into A/C pressures I am not sure what the average pressure would be as most sites related to the topic suggest that the pressure could vary greatly dependent on a number of factors.

Thank you again for the input.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy
Never thought about using an AC condenser as a cooler...... did you use it in line with the radiator cooler or by it's self?
Hi EOD, I plumbed it with thru the radiator cooler. With my particular application My trans lines were very close to the same locations as my A/C condensor so it was pretty simple to do.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:18 PM

Last photo:

Neat idea.... think I might give it a whril
Old 12-25-2010, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

It works great, I got the idea at a Four Wheeling Event at a local ORV park. This guy had his tow rig on display and had the set up.

I will be using my truck in much the same way so I thought what the heck?!

I had my A/C condensor hot tanked to make sure all the gunk or what have you gets flushed out and pressure tested. I then used steel brake line, flare fittings, and adapters and plumbed everything.

I have only used my setup for part of a summer so I am hoping to see how well it does this coming year. We will be going over the Cascade Mountain Range close to every other weekend to fish and goof off during the summer, there are a couple are's that can be very taxing on transmissions so we will see.

When I get a chance I will take some pic's!

Good Luck

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.