Play in steering box - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Twin 13 y/o boys! Blessed you are- w/maybe a headache or two thrown in for good measure, I'd imagine!!

Use PB Blaster first, then I wouldn't hesitate to use a big pair of channel locks to hold that big stamped steel lock nut. I have had to break those rings loose in the past by a sharp rap to loosen it w/a rounded-end chisel and hammer. Because the nut is already broken loose on yours, the nut would need to be held while the ring was hit to break it free.

OT- I sent a PM about 3 mo. ago, you ever see it?
Is that the PM entitled, "THANK YOU!" I got that one... and your welcome... As for the boys! Besides the side of my head getting gray hair quickly, they are both well behaved and respectful young boys.
I'll try the PB Blaster (didn't think of that!) The ring comes loose when I tap it with a screwdriver and hammer, the problem is the nut turns with. That's the part that is frozen or tight. I'll try the large channel locks and see if I can break the nut loose from the ring. The box is still mounted in the car so it makes it a little more challenging!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

Just to update on this post. Tonight I tore into the steering box. I discover the adjustment nut and lock on top has two indentation which I believe is for use with a spanner wrench. I fabricated a wrench using two studs and was able to break the outer lock ring after spraying with PB Blaster. It appears that nut wasn't adjusted properly and I got a good half a 1-2" of turn until I felt a slight drag. I set it there, tightened things up and connected my steering column. Not sure if there is improvement or not because I haven't taken it out. I'll give a shot tomorrow. According to the steering wheel, it feels about the same.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:37 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleen56
Just to update on this post. Tonight I tore into the steering box. I discover the adjustment nut and lock on top has two indentation which I believe is for use with a spanner wrench. I fabricated a wrench using two studs and was able to break the outer lock ring after spraying with PB Blaster. It appears that nut wasn't adjusted properly and I got a good half a 1-2" of turn until I felt a slight drag. I set it there, tightened things up and connected my steering column. Not sure if there is improvement or not because I haven't taken it out. I'll give a shot tomorrow. According to the steering wheel, it feels about the same.
You should back off the adjuster on the side cover for the pittman shaft first, then adjust the wormshaft bearing preload, then reset the pittman shaft adjustment. If the pittman shaft adjustment isn't loose it can mung the feel of the worm shaft adjustment.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 AM

I was thinking since all has checked out maybe the shaft that connects to steering wheels is messed up meaning maybe some of the ribssplines are striped or ribs/splines on the steering wheel it self.

This reminds me of my 57 F100 there was a chunk missing on the worm I remember it took some shims but I can't remember where maybe the gears aren't hitting correct because it needs shimes to be adjusted correct forgive me it's been so long ago.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

I took the truck out for a test drive. SUCCESS! I now have very little play in the steering and the truck is very solid to drive( at least more secure and safe) Although I didn't loosen the pitman arm sector adjustment, it appears the steering is not binding throughout the turning process. After adjusting the worm nut on top, I did loosen the pitman sector just to check if it was tight. I readjusted the pitman arm sector screw to zero lash, It was a little tight but nothing to where it would harm the box. I'd estimate I have .5 - 1" of play versus 2-4" easy... I'm amazed by the fact that the guys I had rebuild this unit couldn't figure this out despite my bringing the box to them on two separate occasions. They have been rebuilding steering boxes for over 40 years and that's all they do... It took my friends in here to correct the problem. I extend my appreciation to all who gave me advise. I like my truck again... Time to buy a lottery ticket!!

Last edited by kleen56; 12-02-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Congrats and good job! I doubt loosening the adjustment before doing the worm gear bearing preload was near as important as having readjusted it after doing the preload, but either way, good deal.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.