Play the,"Where to start?" Challenge - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Play the,"Where to start?" Challenge

Scenario:
You just bought your first vehicle and have "hot rod" or "go fast" on the brain. The vehicle is a 70's model with a small block. Your father got it from a friend who didn't need it. It's a two door, plain Jane, with parking lot dings, ripped vinyl top, fair rubber and fair interior. After license and insurance, you have $340 left to do what you will. It needs an exhaust gasket on the drivers side and the battery is crap. It hasn't been serviced in 6 months. Prior to that, it was maintained.
You and your father have most basic hand tools.
You do qulify for a $1000 beginner loan thru dad's bank, if he will co-sign. Payments are $43.50 a month, for 30 months.
Your buddy does body work and you can use his shop Saturdays, but must be gone by 4. No Silicone alowed in his shop at all!
You have a job and you can budget about $30 per week to your project, but you also have a heavy foot, so be aware.

Some of us older folk will say, "If it were me"
Some of the younger will say, "Got to have it now"

What's in your wallet!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2003, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Unless this is some special/rare car, the vinyl top would have to go. Can't beat the price: free! the buddy with the shop can make it look pretty later, along with the parking lot dings. Since the small block appears to be in good shape, an inexpensive tune up would most definitely be in order. As for a "big ticket" item, I would first and foremost have a complete stem to stern brake system inspection/service completed. Adding the go-fast goodies is always a blast, but stopping fast can be a lifesaver! In driver's education we were taught not to overdrive the beam of the headlight. I would like to add to that not to over drive the capability of the brake system. Been there, done that, can't say I liked it too much!
Old 09-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Psychotic

Last photo:

Ford, or Chevvy, or Mopar??
Old 09-25-2003, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

Nice post man, the brand of the car doesnt matter, most of this info works for any car/truck you want to fix.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:50 PM

Gotta agree wit 345

LOL I gotta agree with 345 coupe that the last thing you wanna find out about your new 30 year old build up that runs (somewhat) is that a brake hose or wheel cylinder is gonna teach you all about off roading or telephone pole grille mods! Pull all the wheels and start with a brake job. heck you can budget 30 bucks a week the tou should be able to at least rebuild one wheel per weekend! ps I can always recommend that a saturday budweiser package will usually get at least a free assistant or two!. ps just like 345 I also outdrove my brakes on my first toy, heck I had to work each weekend at a pals body shop for the whole summer just to it back together, good luck on this project sounds like a winner. ps a lotta wd 40 will help all that 30 year old bolts to come off easier! enjoy!!!1
Old 09-25-2003, 06:42 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

true story guys

My son found grand-maws Buick parked under a cover in some guys driveway. Ran, kinka bad but didn't smoke. Would not move, the brakes were froze up. Guy had to have $1200 but Jason told him like it was and he had $600 cash and would get it out of the driveway TODAY!! Flat bedded it home. Beat the wheels off the beat the drum off then cleaned up the drums and the thing had new brake hard wear and shoes. Put gas in it, tuneup including wires , cap n rotor and it runs like a champ.. Suggested to Jason he install a duel reservoir master cylinder from a later Buick but first he said he just wanted to drive it around the block.. He puts it in gear, the throttle stuck, he steps on the brakes and broke a line, his dream car is now headed for the fence after throwing gravel all over me and his mom, right into the chain link fence that stopped it without a scratch on the car.. Point in fact the brake lines ALL needed changed and the new duel master cylinder was installed, no more brake problems. Jason found this Black 64 Buick special in a condo near one of his friends home and talked to the owners wife about how long it had been sitting in her driveway and when did her husban get home from work to talk a deal. Put Cragers and new rubber and buffed out the Purple/Black paint. They are out there you just have to look.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 09-25-2003, 11:25 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Assuming the brakes were good (I just went through a similar experience) I'd take that $340 and hit up a swap meet. A used intake, carb, and headers are in order to wake the beast up. No ignition would be needed, the stock HEI unit, wires, and plugs would be just fine. The first $60 would go towards the gaskets and other little things like the plugs and wires I am gunna need initially. After that it's time to save up and within a month or so I could afford a cheap exhaust system. And I haven't even touched the loan money yet
Old 09-25-2003, 11:54 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Play the,"Where to start?" Challenge

I'd like to buy a vowel???......Wait no!! I'll take"Duration specs of various cams"for $600..Alex.......
If it were me and I had a mid 70's car to rod(78 monte see the similairity??)If it had a good running 350 I'd break the $340 into headers and a mild cam and if enough was left over a used E-bay duel plane 4bbl intake.If it had a 305 I'd find a $350 350 I could hear run.Then save my $30 a week for headers,a cheap cam and used 4bbl intake off ebay.And off course a cheap set of guages to monitor our precious first hotrod engine.
Then once the motor was taken care of.I would save my $30 a week for a rear gear set and a used posi unit or have good ole dad weld the spider gears.
Then would be better stuff such as getting a holley carb,a Sunn super tach,used mags and better tires.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:17 AM

Last photo:

I would take the beginner loan which would bring the initial budget up to $1340.Since this is my only vehicle,I would refrain from any mods that would keep it off the road for too long.This is assuming that I want it to go fast and looks aren't as important.

My first purchase would be a repair manual.{(-16) budget=1344}

Next,all the components necessary to refurbish the brakes myself.{(-150) budget=1194}

Factory wheels are not wide enough.Can get a set of Steel Rally type wheels at salvage yard and clean them up.{(-40) budget=1154}

Need new wide tires.{(-300) budget=854}

Change the fluid and filter in the tranny.Install new modulator.{(-40) budget=814}

New U-joints.{(-20) budget=794}

Complete tune up on engine with oil change.Flush radiator.Install new fuel pump and water pump.New belts and hoses.{(-140) budget=654}

Budget high torque cam and lifter set utilizing factory lift.New timing gears and chain.Gaskets necessary to install cam.{(-120) budget=534}

Used performance intake and Holley carb with rebuild kit.{(-160) budget= 374}

New battery including cables.{(-50) budget=324)

Purchase and install a set of economy headers and a prefab duel exhaust system with mufflers.{(-320) budget=$4}

Get a value meal at Taco-Bell.{Budget=0}

Not gonna worry about looks right now.Spend the weekends doing minor body work.Use weekly budget to pay off loan early.

When loan is paid off,another can be taken to budget the paint and interior.

Be happy with what I got until I can afford to build my dream.

This is all assuming that the suspension on the car is in good condition.The car I used is a 1974 Chevy Malibu with a 350.Prices are based on what it would cost me in my area.

Old 09-26-2003, 05:22 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

DR. Lindz, you got it going on!

Moby302. The make really doesn't matter. This could be anything froma 72 Luv truck, 75 Aspen, 78 Monte, 0r 74 Ford 3/4 ton.

I didn't think about going for the loan right away. I also noticed that no one did what I did when I got my first car. STEREO!

My entire point in doing this scenario is to see what some would do first. I hope the new folks to hot rodding get some ideas of what is important. Chrome won't get ya home!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:50 AM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

Basically, if it's a nice unit that someone else might like to have, I would take the $340 to make the repairs it needed to be safe, spit shine it and sell it to the highest bidder. Take the loan plus the money I made off the car and look for something I had been lusting for. That is just what I would do! I have always been a horse trader!!!!
I love the smell of a quick deal!

If the car was cool enough to keep I would add the usual cam, intake, carb, headers, wheels and tires after making it safe for the road.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:11 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Madd Syntst I also noticed that no one did what I did when I got my first car. STEREO!
Was it an 8 track w/ Guass speakers???

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.