Please all read... want to start a BIG project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 11:13 PM

Last journal entry: the Sport and the shaved
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Please all read... want to start a BIG project

Ok for some who will read this will be very unhappy with me but here it goes.... i need help or websites to help me start to turn my camaro in to a all wheel drive car... this is not a joke and this will happen... every peice of advise can and will help.... thanks...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 11:29 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

AWD is great for road hugging performance, so why think it's a joke? That is unless you plan on putting it on a frame and jacking it up in the air... now THAT would be a joke!!

I know there was a 32 deuce hot rod made a few years ago with AWD. A Chevy S-10 drivetrain was used. I'd suggest that for the front suspension, lowered of course. Rear should be useable near stock. The big problem is going to be the transfer case, as in putting it under the vehicle. If it is on the passenger side it's not as big a deal as if on the driver's side. AFAIK it's on the driver's side though. You could get the transfer case from an older Jeep Wagoneer (they used TH400, but Buick "nailhead" case -- internals and output shaft is the same as any other TH400, so you could use the Jeep output and tailshaft housing on a Chevy case) that does exit on the passenger side, but that would require reworking the front differential of the S-10. Early Jeep Wagoneers (64-67?) used a Dana IFS, but they were few and far between back then. You'll have to cut the floor and make quite a hump for the transfer case. Check out an AMC Eagle car (80-88) if you get a chance. The IFS uses a spring mounted on the upper A-arm, so it probably isn't adaptable to what you want, but note the hump under the floor. The front driveshaft is on the driver's side, so it would be a bit of a problem anyway.

You can rotate the transfer case for a little extra clearance if you use the Jeep noted above -- not sure about other makes. Losing passenger foot room is a lot less compromising than losing driver foot room! Some Toyota trucks use a torsion bar IFS and may have the frotn driveshaft on the passenger side, I'm not sure. Would be nice though -- cut the Toyota frame off and modify it to replace the Camaro subframe.

Oh, what year Camaro?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:52 PM

I'll assume your talking about the 86 in your project journal. A.W.D would be pretty cool. {assuming your not talking jacked up 4x4. In that case, throw it on a p.u. chassis, leave room for a gun rack and throw the empties from building it in the back seat.} I would start by looking for a wrecked typhoon/syclone. It's gonna cost more on your initial investment but it will provide all the pieces. You'll have to swap out both front and rear suspension anyway, so your final cost will probably be close to the same if you get parts from here and there. Another source might be an A.W.D. Safari van, but I haven't ever looked at that system. Make sure you study up welding stuff on the frame. Don't cut corners on structure and end up killing yourself in a 4 wheel power slide because somethig broke.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

I recall an AWD deuce too. Quadradeuce I think it was called. Purple with yellow scallops, built for a Summit show car I think.

Anyway, I believe it used a 930 transaxle for the front. Maybe I'm wrong and they used 930 half shafts. Can't remember, but it would be a good resource. If I get a chance I'll dig through my library and see if I can find it.

I'd agree with the typhoon setup if you could find one. That was pretty slick.

How much power are you planning on putting through it? That might have an impact on what is feasible.

Later....

Wally
Old 12-03-2004, 04:16 PM

They based it off the syclone (sp?) which is the AWD S10.

Interesting project, it's do-able.

My advice:
#1 get $50,000.00
#2 Build car
#3 good luck
Old 12-03-2004, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

thanks guys

no im not going to jack up the car, the car will be loward and the engine i have right now is 383 rat motor that will be replaced with a ZR1, it depends on the drive train when im done, thinking about eather a supercharger or twin turbo... i know its a problem of its own but for now the all wheel drive with the 383 in it right now it puts out around 420 horse 390 tork. with the zr1 i hope to run abound 700 hp if everying can hold up with the help of corvette connection.... but thats for all the idea, now im looking for a complete s10 4 wheel drive to gut.... i'll keep the post coming in the project part...thanks all Omar

Last edited by knowldgeisfatal; 12-03-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:37 AM
I smell like a hotrod!

Last journal entry: windshield
Last photo:

The quadraduce was made by rad rides by troy. I have looked all over the internet to see if I could find his setup, but never found anything. Maybe you could email Rad Rides, and they would tell you what they did.
Good Luck
If you find a good affordable alternative to the Cyclone let me know.
Thanks

Brian
Old 12-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Don't just limit yourself to the S-10 for AWD parts.
The Chevy Astro, and GMC Safari had the exact same AWD parts as the truck line.

If you only want the ability of part time 4WD you could find any of those at a much cheaper price and a much higher percentage of availability.

The S-10 A-arms will be an almost direct fit, you will have to swap the engine oil pan to the S-10 V-8 conversion pan so the front differential unit will fit with much less removal of the crossmember, and the most difficult thing to fit under the car will be the transfer case.

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 12-08-2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:23 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Awsome!

Yes, awesome!

I have some questions:

What is the intended purpose, show, road race, trying to hook monster power on smaller street tires or...?

How well will it turn on and off acceleration?

It could be possible to make a small raised box under the passenger seat for more transfer case clearance.

I saw on Monster Garage once where they used a simple chain and sprocket setup to run a parallel driveshaft running forward. It seems like that would give max clearance AND max weight reduction.

M&M said that the A arms are almost a direct fit... what is the difference in the width from the S10 to the Camaro? and what year is the Camaro?

I look forward to seeing pics and progress reports, Good Luck!
Old 12-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You will need to make provisions for the torsion bars midway back under the car, remember there is no frame under the Camaro, it's a unibody.

The 4WD S-10 uses a wider flange to flange measurement for the wheels meaning they have a larger backspacing than those for earlier cars and 2WD trucks/vans, you could use the Corvette offset wheels for the looks, the later Camaro/Firebird wheels are similar, or the AWD/4WD S/T-10/15 and Astro/Safari trucks and vans.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

thanks all

agin thaks for all the really help ful tips... and this is a street, and show car... its going to have 17x11 in the rear and 17x9.5 front... i have a question about the parts thou... how much power can these awd parts handle? what would be the grear ratio be for front and rear? just what to know it i have to re enforce the transfer case and better gears... Omar
Old 12-08-2004, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

How much can they handle, depends on the parts used... we'll put it this way, my old topaz could handle the 98hp, monster-trucks can handle their 1600hp... just depends on the parts you choose to use.

Eric
Old 12-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Tundra Wookie

Is there any reason you couldn't use the drivetrain of a subaru? They are awd and the older ones can be had at a pretty decent price.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:

Re: thanks guys

[QUOTE]Originally posted by knowldgeisfatal
[B]the engine i have right now is 383 rat motor

A 383 Rat motor? I'd like to see the specs on that, he he
Old 12-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The Subaru parts are cheap because that's all they will fit, the parts won't come close to withstanding the power of a stock small block let alone a mildly built 383.

The small block chevy engine is commonly referred to as a "mouse" motor.

The big block chevy engine is commonly referred to as a "rat" motor.

A "rat rod" is anything hotrodded that is powered by a "rat" big block Chevy engine.

The Syclone/Typhoon engines had 290 horsepower stock if I remember right.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.