Hot Rod Forum banner

Please don't hate me, but

2K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Ghetto Jet 
#1 ·
I did a big search on the site and I still need to ask. So, here it goes. I want to upgrade cam. Nothing too choppy, but noticeable idle. I have a 327, 202 camelback heads, HEI, headers, Holley 600, 373 rear end, T350 tranny. All else stock as far as I know. I was looking at this one http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=12-210-2. It is a big jump and I just want to be sure it is right for my setup. Thanks guys for your help.

#5 ·
In the 327 engine it should sound better than in a 400. Its been my understanding you will get more lope with the same cam in a small cube engine. Thanks for letting me see that page It lays out the cams where you can compare them. Your link didnt work but you can try here.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/CamHelp/Default.asp

I have 6 lifters not spinning in my motor so a cam is in my future also. I want a lopey sound but dont want to lose all the bottom end torque. Mine is a 355 so I will go a little bigger. I want to get about 500 lift.

#6 · (Edited)
That cam is a little mild but is a good choice. To see the specs go here 12-210-2

A better choice for your setup is the XE268H. You can see the specs on it here XE268H

I have used the XE268H in a mild 350 and was very pleased with the results. It does have a slight lope and works fine with the stock converter.

Note: Use Comp Cams kit (lifters, springs & retainers). If you buy everything at the same time it is a considerable savings. Break the cam in properly and immediately change the oil & filter after the cam break in. You will be ready to rock after that!

#7 ·
Let me start by saying that I HATE THIS SLOW, POS COMPUTER. Now having said that. I know the page was up with the specs when I copied it. Don't know why it did not work. Here it is http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=12-205-2 Thanks for all the quick replies. Stupid computer.

I posted link to wrong one. Frisco got it right. Sorry guys. Thanks Frisco!!!

#8 ·
The cam you just listed is not the same cam as you first asked about. It is even milder. :confused:

Which cam are you looking at?

12-205-2 has gross lift of .425/.425 (this was the second cam you listed)

12-210-2 has gross lift of .454/.454 (this is the first cam you listed)

12-242-2 has a gross lift of .477/.480 (this is my suggestion)

#11 ·
Now I just have to decide which one to do first Cam or intake manifold. Think I will go with the Edelbrock performer EPS (idle-5500). Which do you reccomend first? Thank you.

Now I just have to decide which one to do first Cam or intake manifold. Think I will go with the Edelbrock performer EPS (idle-5500). Which do you reccomend first? Thank you.

#12 ·
Why not wait until you have the money for both . . . to do the cam you'll have to take the manifold off anyways.

If you are going to do one then the other I would do the camshaft first. Get the big project out of the way. Swapping manifolds is easy for the most part. You'll notice more power out of the cam change than the manifold.

#13 ·
NOlowrider said:

Your intake choice is very good. I'd do the cam and kit first. Then the intake.

Better yet, buy the parts as you can and do all the changes at one time. That would save a set of intake gaskets at a minimum. :D

Sorry Siggy, I'm a slow two finger typist. Your reply is correct. :cool:

#16 ·
Yea, I guess I could wait and do both at the sametime. Can't really afford to get both at this time (Christmas). I also would like to eventually go with the roller rockers. I have had this truck parked for the past 15 years or so and I want to get it running strong for my son to drive. Probably a bad idea though. I posted the first link while I was at work and I didn't have the specs when I got home. So, I could not remember which one it was. That's why I posted the wrong link in the second post. Thanks to everyone who helped me out.

Anyone coming to New Orleans for Mardi Gras?

#17 · (Edited)
:smash: i have a place on ebay that i bought a prefomance products cross wind alm. intake for 130 green stamps.new in the box,it a spinn off of the air gap intake,put the two side buy side and cant tell them apart except the price.the also sell the rpm style, high rise style,single plane and duel plane.ill try to post the link if i can figure out how (puter illiterate).

http://stores.ebay.com/DIRTTRACK-TH...QcolZ4QQdirZ1QQsclZallQQsotimedisplayZ2QQtZkm

:thumbup: wow i did it,who knows what i can do now.

#19 ·
free cam advice

I just put in an XE268 in my 427 Corvette and I love it. It has a nice lope and really pulls hard low med and high rpm. It especially comes on during mid range. I have a 2000-2400 stall converter, which comp says is not necessary, but it just smokes em like never before-me like it.

#21 ·
NOlowrider said:
Can I re-use the lifters that are in there now? This engine only has about 500 miles after rebuild. Or do I need to get the kit?
Get the kit. Lifters are not that much in cost to take a chance on ruining the new cam.

The wear pattern occurs on the cam lobes and the lifter faces during the cam break in period. Even if you were to remove and replace the original cam you would have to be certain to put the lifters back in the same lifter bores that they came out of.

#22 ·
I see what you are saying, Frisco. Probably a good idea to replace them. But, can it be any brand of lifters? What I mean is my friends works at a auto parts store and he gives me a good discount on parts, but I don't think they carry Comp brand items.

#23 ·
Most any business can order from Comp and get the dealer prices. You mentioned getting the "kit" from Comp. It comes with the lifters.

As to using 'any' brand of lifter, probably can, as they are all made by only a few manufacturers. The problem that I see is that the 'no-name' variety may not have the same tolerances or quality control that the "Name" brand have (or should have). The second consideration is whether the cam manufacturer will honor their product when mixing the brands of parts. I realise that some of that is to get you to buy their product and that there are several good manufacturers. I personally prefer to not mix brands when selecting a cam and related components. The small savings just isn't worth risking a further teardown if a problem occurs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.