Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Please evaluate my car (pics included)... paint or sell as is?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004, 11:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Please evaluate my car (pics included)... paint or sell as is?

Hi all, I've owned this car(1967 Camaro) for 4 years now. My dilemna is this: should I sell the car as is or paint it first? I didn't have much luck last year when I tried to sell it as is. A couple guys in their early 20's offer in the $6k range and didn't have much muscle car knowledge.

I know how much has been put into the car. Engine professionally rebuilt, block sent out to machine shop, all internals magnafluxed. Block is 4 bolt main, turbo 350 trans with B&M shifter kit, double roller timing chain, edelbrock heads and intake, crane cam, demon carb, mallory unilite dist, MSD coil, new plugs/wires (MSD), new starter, new altenator, new battery cables, new main engine wiring harness, new battery/battery tray, 4 core radiator, new 3/8" fuel line and sending unit, 10-bolt posi 3.73 gears, new carpet, several new interior parts (ash tray, rear package tray, seat cover, etc), all new seat belts including racing harness up front.

Almost every engine part has been painted/ reconditioned. 99% of the resto parts have come from Year One and I have ALL the receipts. New motor has about 4000 miles on it and has not been raced. The previous owner claims 12.0's in the 1/4 and I haev no reason to doubt that.

Now I know I will not get all my money out of the car, but I think that $6k is very low for this car. It is not a numbers matching car though. Any ideas on current value?

I think the problem is from the outside, the car is pretty much an ugly duckling. Weatherstripping is all rotten, flat black primer, need body work here and there, small spot of rust on driver's sill, etc. I checked 4 reputable body shops in my area and noone will paint it, they all said they don't do resto work and they are too busy with collision work. The only other option is maybe try to do the body work myself and get a cheapie paint job or sell it as is.

So to sum up, 2 questions: what is the current value and should I sell it as is or throw a cheapie resale red paint job on it?

Thx in advance (pics to follow)

This last one is prior to rebuild, notice rusty headers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fbda8841_1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	2620  

Last edited by hlweyl; 09-19-2004 at 11:28 AM.