Hot Rod Forum banner

please explain this??

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  techron 
#1 ·
#5 ·
That is NOT "just a vin" that is a killer fix for a lot of projects. You have a common 250 hp Vette with a rusty/damaged frame under it. Buy this, and your common Vette that isn't even repairable because the frame is so gone is now a Big block with a good frame.

Look at what that thing is going for, it will go much higher.

Brian

#7 ·
im a vette guy and i dont even get it!! that frame looks BAD, not only is it very corroded, its majorly bent in the back. in the info the numbers on the stamp pad show the engine to be origonal to the car. anybody who knows anything about vettes would have shown a pic of the stamp pad, without that pic ill bet its a restamp!! a lot of restamps are out there nowadays and most are fairly easy to spot if you know what to look for. a restamp would make it not worth much. the owner of that car was not interested in origonality(M/T valve covers-GIANT red flag). even if you had another car to combine with that it would cost more than you could just go buy a nice one for, and when you finished you would just have a non origonal car. you would NEVER EVER be able to pass off the end product as an origonal car!!!

#9 ·
Tell me guys, what is the difference from buying a rusted out hulk of a deuce body and welding in patch panels all over it, a floor, repro deck lid and so forth? That rusted hulk all done will bring big bucks, is the builder a scammer?

I REALLY like "history" and I get the point that the Vettes "history" is changed, but it isn't really "dishonest" any more than building "real" BB Vette from an old race car or something where all the body panels need to be replaced and the floor repaired from old roll bars that went thru it and that sort of thing.

How many restored Vettes, Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs were just disassembled and restored? Not many, most were HULKS, had floors cut up for shifters, rusted out wheel wells, hacked up inner fenders and dashes. Wrong engines, trannies and rear ends. If the VIN doesn't say it, the car gets some "good stuff" like a 12 bolt where a 10 was, a 350 HP motor where a 250 Horse was, accessory chrome where there was none. Most of the stuff is Taiwan reproduction!

What is the difference between that and a guy with a rusted out Vette That has a good body buying this and making a car out of it?

Brian

#10 ·
MARTINSR said:
Tell me guys, what is the difference from buying a rusted out hulk of a deuce body and welding in patch panels all over it, a floor, repro deck lid and so forth? That rusted hulk all done will bring big bucks, is the builder a scammer?

I REALLY like "history" and I get the point that the Vettes "history" is changed, but it isn't really "dishonest" any more than building "real" BB Vette from an old race car or something where all the body panels need to be replaced and the floor repaired from old roll bars that went thru it and that sort of thing.

How many restored Vettes, Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs were just disassembled and restored? Not many, most were HULKS, had floors cut up for shifters, rusted out wheel wells, hacked up inner fenders and dashes. Wrong engines, trannies and rear ends. If the VIN doesn't say it, the car gets some "good stuff" like a 12 bolt where a 10 was, a 350 HP motor where a 250 Horse was, accessory chrome where there was none. Most of the stuff is Taiwan reproduction!

What is the difference between that and a guy with a rusted out Vette That has a good body buying this and making a car out of it?

Brian
brian, i agree with you completely, but this is not a chevelle, camaro or mustang-it is a corvette. it (C2) has a cult following. NCRS (national corvette restoration society) guys are finatics!!! they would rip anything built out of that a new bunghole!!! besides that i have never seen a corvette of that time period that had a frame worse than that. i get your scenario about a car with a rusted out frame but there are a couple of companies producing new frames for way less than is bid on that thing, one company even produces a new frame out of stainless steel for less. OH, and i am not one of the finatics that belong to the NCRS, i belong to the OTHER NCRS (not correctly restored society)!!!

#11 ·
I understand both sides, but we don't know how bad that frame is. It looks funky because all the protection was burnt off it, it rusted RIGHT NOW and it may not be pitted bad or anything like that. Now, I would be more concerned with it being warped from the heat. The fire that burnt that body clean off produced some HEAT.

But again, they aren't buying just a frame that they could get elsewhere. They are buying a pink, vin numbers, a matching motor (I think it is, I didn't read every line of the auction), etc. So they have a "lowly" 65-66 Roadster with a 75 350 motor in it and rusty frame. They get this mess for only 15K and build themselves a KILLER car (65-66 BB hood is the BEST hood EVER), one that they could only dream of otherwise.

I know there are a ton of scammed fake cars out there and those people need to get a life. But I don't think this is one of those scams, it is "almost" as good as having a super rough 65 396 roadster and doing a full resto. This one just happens to need a few more body parts. :)

As far as if the Corvette dudes would know......it depends on how well this car was rebuilt. I mean, if a guy is so smart to be able to pick apart a Vette because he knows all the details.......that very some guy is smart enough to BUILD a car with all those details taken care of. :)

Brian

#13 ·
Ok, I am not arguing, I am just laying ideas out on the table for discussion.

How is that "cloning" a car. Cloneing in my mind is a taking a strippo 68 Chevelle with a 250 inch six and putting an installing all the things to make it an SS 396. It wasn't an SS396 to begin with so it is a "fake" SS396.

The Corvette that is for sale on ebay IS a 396 Fourspeed roadster. It isn't a fake, it just needs a lot of body work. :D

So, you have a body and put it on it, it is STILL the same 396 fourspeed roadster it used to be, it would just have some new body panels. :)

Brian

#14 ·
MARTINSR said:

How is that "cloning" a car. Cloneing in my mind is a taking a strippo 68 Chevelle with a 250 inch six and putting an installing all the things to make it an SS 396. It wasn't an SS396 to begin with so it is a "fake" SS396.

The Corvette that is for sale on ebay IS a 396 Fourspeed roadster. It isn't a fake, it just needs a lot of body work. :D

So, you have a body and put it on it, it is STILL the same 396 fourspeed roadster it used to be, it would just have some new body panels. :)

Brian
Kind of splitting hairs but I agree with Brian
Shane

#15 ·
MARTINSR said:

Brian
Brian, i agree with you on the clone thing, but a vette is a vette. there are lots of guys that will swap a small block for a big block, change trannys etc. etc.. BUT they dont try to clone a big block-4 speed car out of a small block automatic car (well a few do) in the vette comunity that is not a clone, it is a FAKE!! they are quickly found out by the experts and ostrisized. this is just the way the purists see it, one of which im not.

you are perfectly correct that if you had a body or a car with a bad frame you could just swap bodies, im doing a frame off on a 64 and it would be just as easy to bolt another body on as mine when the time comes.

for a driver everything you state is totally true, and yes it WOULD be a 66 big block 4 speed car.

what i am trying to point out is the way the corvette community would look at that car as compared to the rest of the world. there are 2 groups of vette guys,#1 the NCRS guys who look for total origonality and KNOW how to spot it and #2 the driver guys who dont care-they just want the car to look good, drive good and be fun. im in the second group. thes 2 groups respect each other but i see threads all the time about "but thats not correct-i dont care" and "check out these pics, experts is this correct??"

as far as the frame goes it would be a 66 car, it would NOT! be an origonal 66 car, it would be a re-body!!

i think whoever buys that frame has more sinister plans for it, the big $$$$ are in turning it into a FAKE origonal, the reasons:
its a 1966
only year for the 396
4 speed car
origonal engine (if it even is??)
C2 body style
all this === big $$$$

im just pointing out the way corvette guys look at this compared to car guys.

#16 · (Edited)
I know that I don't know. :) I had a Vette, a 64, and was planning a restoration (talk to the ex about what happen to it :evil: ). So, I have a tiny idea, but an idea non-the-less about NCRS with their rusted half shafts and duplicated grease pencil marks.

Few big dollar Vettes get anywhere near the galaxy that the NCRS lives on, but they still bring big bucks.

And again, no disagreement, just discussion. That car IS a 65 and from the little I know the numbers all look legit "correct" at least by date code. 65 was the ONLY year for a 396, wasn't it?

And like I said, if a guy is anal enough to KNOW all there is to know about what makes a car "correct", then he too could fake the correct. That is if he has any talent in fabbing and body and paint.

But honestly, this car could be bought, another body stuck on it and it WILL be a 65 Bigblock to 99% of the normal human beings who would look at it. The 1% who are NCRS level, they may never even see the car, they are a moot point.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.