Please help with 3.8/231. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 05:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Please help with 3.8/231.

Let me first start by saying hello! I am new here. I figured I should register here because every time I typed a question into goggle, it would refer this site to me.

Now, my issues. I believe the engine I have is a 1981, 231. I also believe the spark is computer controlled because it has no vacuum advance canister on the distributor. From what I gathered from this site is any GM HEI distributor with an advance canister will replace it.

But I can't find much info on the carburetors being used. This in mine. It looks complicated to me. Can I just strip all this "useless" stuff off.

And this thing was under the carburetor.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

75 through 79 gm 3.8 would fit if you can find it.

You would be removing an emission device as the CCC system is coupled to that distributor for emission control.Not a recommended practice here. Not legal either.
Why dont you post what problem you are having and see if you can repair the system to work correctly.
OR are you putting the engine in an older vehicle (say a jeep for instance) where smog devices wouldnt have been present?
1 post what the vehicle is
2 post the problem you are having
3 check for replies

Old 09-26-2010, 08:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

GM is not in the habit of installing unnecessary parts on their cars - doing so tends to eat into profits. The carb you have is a computer controlled DualJet. The mixture is controlled by a pulse width modulated solenoid that moves the metering rods up and down in the jets to vary the flow rate and thus the mixture ratio. The three wire connector on the drivers side of the carb is for the throttle position sensor. The blue two wire connector on the passenger side is for the solenoid. The plate under the carb is a heater that helps the car run better when the engine is cold. The round black thing with five terminals in the second picture is the cruise control actuator. The unit on the side of the carb with four terminals is the idle speed control motor.

Before declaring this stuff "useless", I suggest that you get a Chassis Service Manual for your car, read it, and really understand what each item does. Randomly removing it is a guaranteed way to make the car run worse, or not at all.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
GM is not in the habit of installing unnecessary parts on their cars - doing so tends to eat into profits. The carb you have is a computer controlled DualJet. The mixture is controlled by a pulse width modulated solenoid that moves the metering rods up and down in the jets to vary the flow rate and thus the mixture ratio. The three wire connector on the drivers side of the carb is for the throttle position sensor. The blue two wire connector on the passenger side is for the solenoid. The plate under the carb is a heater that helps the car run better when the engine is cold. The round black thing with five terminals in the second picture is the cruise control actuator. The unit on the side of the carb with four terminals is the idle speed control motor.

Before declaring this stuff "useless", I suggest that you get a Chassis Service Manual for your car, read it, and really understand what each item does. Randomly removing it is a guaranteed way to make the car run worse, or not at all.
X2 Joe
Old 09-26-2010, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

I just have the engine, not the whole vehicle. The engine will be going into a 1953 Willys CJ3B. I will mate it to the factory T90A tranny.

I want a stand alone system. I am burnt out on computers. Also, this is the FIRST vehicle I own with a carburetor! I want the system to be as simple as possible.

And gentlemen, I am NOT cool with pollution! After seeing the BP oil spill in person....it makes you want to protected this planet..... Not really worried about the law though..................
Old 09-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

so cool you are puttin it in an old jeep . That thing is da bomb
mid to late seventies distributor from a v 6 buick then you will either have to change the intake or make an adapter for a 2 bbl rochester.Then you will be cookin. Just keep it tuned good so it burns nice and clean (as possible).
if you have a u pull it yard around look for a mid to late 70 like buick apollo or pontiac pheonix or olds omega . Some had v 8s but a lot had the v 6.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

They did make a non electronic version of the dualjet you pictured. It was on 78 +79 models so you may not have to change the intake if you can find one. They did put the v 6 buick in lesabres also in 78 79.that car would have the whole setup you want
Old 09-26-2010, 04:51 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Not that you are too likely to run across an "Odd Fire" (ended mid-1977) distributor, you need to use an "Even Fire" distributor (mid-'77-'80). Use any Dualjet Rochester you run across that is not feedback- i.e. has no electrical connections (except the electric choke heater). These carbs will generally be found on V6 and V8 GM's from '80 back to whenever they began. Because they are nothing more than the primary side of a Q-jet, tuning parts and info are readily available.

The carb will bolt up to the manifold you have, minus the under carb heater unit that will no longer be used.

CLICK for a manual on the Dualjet carb.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Not that you are too likely to run across an "Odd Fire" (ended mid-1977) distributor, you need to use an "Even Fire" distributor (mid-'77-'80). Use any Dualjet Rochester you run across that is not feedback- i.e. has no electrical connections (except the electric choke heater). These carbs will generally be found on V6 and V8 GM's from '80 back to whenever they began. Because they are nothing more than the primary side of a Q-jet, tuning parts and info are readily available.

The carb will bolt up to the manifold you have, minus the under carb heater unit that will no longer be used.

CLICK for a manual on the Dualjet carb.
Cool. So, the vaccum advance will hook up to the manifold?

and you guys are the BOMB

Thank you,
Johnathon
Old 09-26-2010, 05:12 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathon001
So, the vaccum advance will hook up to the manifold?
You can use a port on the intake or the carb to feed the vacuum advance. You might want to use ported or manifold (full time) vacuum for the advance. I'd suggest you try both and see what it "liked".
Old 09-26-2010, 10:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Very cool jeep. A small word of advice - if you had told us in the original post that the engine was going into an older, non-computer vehicle, we wouldn't have ragged on you and could have gotten to the answer earlier. In any case, the info above is good. I'd add that there are a lot of intakes for the Buick V6 for a 2GC and even a Qjet 4bbl. I'd consider those before going with the non-computer DualJet. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:10 AM

Last photo:

Is this the correct carburetor to use with my factory intake? I almost clicked the buy now, but decided to double check. Would not have been the first time I bought something in hast and turn out to be a bad buy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 AM

Last photo:

Yes, that will work.
For about $30 more you can get a Lifetime warranty here>> http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/ I looked up one for a Chevy #ND2851 = M2ME w/electric choke.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:44 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathon001
Is this the correct carburetor to use with my factory intake? I almost clicked the buy now, but decided to double check. Would not have been the first time I bought something in hast and turn out to be a bad buy.
The type of carb is correct, but that particular carb is from a 200 cid V6 Chevy and could be on the lean side, calibration-wise.

I'd rather see you pick one up for the Buick V6 231 cid or the 229 cid V6 Chevy (both are "3.8L"), up to 1980. 1981 and beyond are feedback carbs- like the one you already have.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

I forgot to ask about this. What is this "sleeve" thing on the valve springs? Is it some kind of spring retainer? These "sleeves" are only on the drivers side cylinder head.

Could I remove them without affecting spring pressure?

Last edited by nathon001; 10-13-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.