Please help..! base coat problems.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Please help..! base coat problems..

Hey guys,
So I finally got to spray my 49 3100 last week and it came out good, at least that's what I thought. I've been cutting it flat with 600 planning on flow coating it next week. After having about 90% of if wet sanded I rolled it out to wash the cab down and then I saw it. Sploches, molting, light spots whatever u want to call it there it was. This amazed me because after I shot the base me and a friend took multiple pieces out of the booth in to the sunlight to check for coverage and it was fine also if there's not water/clear on the truck the dull base looks great its not until you wet it down that u can see it. The color is hot lava orange ( off a 2008 scion tc ) and its the color I had my heart set in but at this point after 2 years of building this truck I'm just ready to get a gallon of black and bc/cc it and call it done. Here's where I need help... I've got the whole truck cut flat with 600 and wiped down is there anyway to fix what I have without going through a total repaint or should I just settle on a solid color and have at it... Any answers would be GREATLY appreciated ..!!!! ---- spi white epoxy reduced as a sealer- 3 coats of dbu base- and 3 coats of spi universal clear .. the gun was a gti 1.4 tip... Thanks again!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

JMO, it sounds to me that you have cut your base down too much. Why are you color sanding the base? Re shoot the color, it shouldn't take much, then clear.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM

Hey thanks for the reply but im not wet sanding the base I'm wet sanding the clear. If u look at the bottom of my original post it was what materials I used while I was shooting it... At this point could I do one or two dust coats to blend everything and then reclear..?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

hmmm, time for an expert to chime in, I wonder if you could add some color to the clear and shoot a few coats?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Call BarryK at this point..sounds like maybe you cut too much while color sanding...

Sam
Old 08-09-2012, 03:27 AM

Last photo:

If I read this right??? Now that you have the clear sanded and not buffed the color looks uneven?

If this is the case, why not buff out a door and pull it outside and take a look.

This color does not seem to look like it is a real bad color to spray, so worse case is you may not have full coverage of base BUT using white under the orange would also help that problem.

I think you may be in better shape then you think but you can not tell by putting water on the sanded clear, if I read this right.

Buff a panel and put up a picture for everyone or call me, if a problem number of easy ways to fix.

If I don't answer, leave a message as in middle of making a new item and have been blending and spraying most of night and do not get phone service in that part of building, so I check phone every 10-15 minutes.
Barry
404-307-9740
Old 08-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Last photo:

I agree with Barry, take a piece and buff it to see what it looks like. You may not have the problem that you think you have.

Vince
Old 08-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I had the same trouble with a dbu job a couple years ago and I've been doing this a long time. Put down my base everything looked good. Let it dry maybe 2 hrs. then shot my spi clear with a slow reducer and put it down good and wet. I know it was wet becuse I had a couple flow indicators. Came out the next morning when clear was good and dry and it looked like the clear had wet up the base and moved the base. It was a real high metalic color. Had to wet sand and reshoot and reclear this time I let the base dry overnight and slowed up on the wettness of the frist coat of clear and everything was fine.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 PM

I'm starting to think this might be the case. I talked to Barry today and he also said that a lot of times you can't go off of what it looms like with water on a sanded clear so I decided to go ahead and flow coat one fender that I think there was a problem area and see how it looks tomorrow once its dry. The thing that's really killing me is that you have to get in once exact spot looking down the panel to see it and if you move your head up or down, left or right 6 inches it goes away.. almost like its just the look of tbe pearl that is in the base. But Hell who knows I'm just ready to be done I've got some cellphone pics of the door and ill try to upload them in a bit all though you know how it is you can never see much in a picture but its worth a try ... Thanks again guys your what keeps me trying to get it right.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Im not sure these pics will up load but here we go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paint1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	67291   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	67292   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	67293  
Old 08-09-2012, 07:09 PM

The first two pics are with water on the sanded clear. if you look into the base you should be able to see what i am talking about... Maybe thats just the way this color lays but I'd like to be 100% sure before i continue. the third is kinda a bad pic but its the same area once it had dried
Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 AM

Last photo:

Those doors look like a normal HIGH pearl job to me, that is the job of the pearl to flop or flip or it would just be a standard orange.

Maybe I'm missing something but I could not see how it could be done any different, it is showing different shades like it should in my book.

BUT I'm not a custom painter, so this is out of my league.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the reply barry the fender i cleared looks good it still has darkness to it in spots if you look at it a certian way but after closer inspection i think its just the way the pearl is laying in the sealer. I will post some pics of my 2 year build once i get it put back together. Thanks again for all the help.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.