Please help, engine combo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 02:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Please help, engine combo

i have a 1968 - 1976 350 block and 307 heads, intake and 2 barrel carb. I wanted to put some life into the engine with some upgrades. I was wondering what would be the best things to do. It is goin in a 68 chevelle malibu with a th400 and a stage 2 shift kit stock converter and stock 10 bolt rear end. But it does have a hurst pistol grip shifter. I was thinkin of a cam intake carb and headers but im not sure what would be a good combo? I have been looking at summit for parts and found they have cheap cams in their summit packages. If anyone could help me out alittle that would be awsome.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 05:19 AM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

If you replace the cam your best bet is to buy a kit. So you get cam lifters and new springs or at least the cam and lifters otherwise your looking at some major problems. It would seem that summit has some of the came cams that other big player have just in unmarked boxes but who knows.
You will want to get a dual plane intake more then likely for the TQ the Air Gap Eld. makes is about the beat one it seems.
With all that weight in the car you want as much low end as you can get so a smaller cam in line with the Comp cam 262 or 268 xe would be in your ball park.

You carb either holley, demon, or eld. all make great crabs. Most will be in the same ballpark of price but you should lean towards a 600 CFM or 650 around about that area seems to fit most 350 just right.

Headers are easy just pick one in the 1 5/8 area there really isent a need to get the 1 3/4 or 2 inch prims. A Hooker comp. works as does headman or any of the ones out there. You might want to look at coated ones they cost alot more but they will last your forever.

You could also take and port the heads with is really where you will see the biggest jump. Because even with all these other parts on it if you can't get that flow to where it needs to be it's all in vein. Hope that helps and sorry for the long post.

Chris
Old 12-02-2004, 08:50 AM

i live about one mile from one of jegs stores and have been buying my parts there for ever but i started looking around on ebay and found some of the main parts that i need and saved a ton of money.they have some cams on ebay that are not name brand but the circle track guys use them for racing so they must b ok.look around the net for performance engine builders and so fourth and many of them have classified adds for used race parts where when you look you can find good deals.you need to get rid of your heads and get different ones and they don't need to be new.the cam shold be new, the valve springs new,an demon carb or equivalent,msd ignition,header sneed not be new but in good shape.you have to spend some time looking.you should get a good torque converter.you don't have to get it all at once.i buy my parts as i can and when i am ready i start the rebuild.get the right parts the first time because if you do it twice it gets exspenive.some of them you can add as you get them.i'd get a carb, headers and ignition then heads and cam and valve train.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:52 AM

Thumbs up engine combo

What i would do is find a set of heads that have cast numbers like the 993 487x or even the 041's.These heads offer almost rectangle strait edge intake ports unlike 882 the stock replacement head or like you're 307 heads probable have.I have worked with all these heads and found them on e-bay from used at 150$to 600 doneup.These heads do really well with a good bowlblend and mild intake porting witch you could do your self with a air grinder and about 50$ worth of sand disc kit from summit.The o41's are hard to find but there good heads.I have a set of 487x heads on my 383 stroker and they work great.I would suggest even with stock heads to get stainless valves added.I only say that because with a comp cam 292/244 cam kit with springs and all I lost a head off one valve and trashed my motor[355]and also my totaly ported 041 heads.I even had 10 degree super locks and retainers.i have built for a while if you have any question please ask.I m sure someone can help.Thanks for you're time.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

summit's input

I emailed summit racing and asked what could be a good combo for my engine wiht a th400 tranny wiht a stage 2 shift kit and stock 10 bolt, they told me that this setup would be good while still on a budget:
EDL-2701 MANIFOLD 129.88
SUM-K1103 CAM & LIFTER KIT 79.95
SUM-G9001 HEADERS 79.50
BMM-20400 CONVERTER TORQUE MASTER 92.88
SUM-G2660 GASKETS-CAM CHANGE KIT 14.95
SUM-G6600 TRUE ROLLER TIMING SET 31.95
I think this sounds pretty good but i wanted to know anyone else's input, That would be awsome thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.