Please Help. Engine Hoist Decision. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 07:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

engine hoist

How do you mount an engine in the back of the hoist? seems to me the hoist
could not put there... also if you find the hoist is bypassing check to see if
was bled- that cured the problem on mine. Jim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

seeing the cranes you got make my wallet churn, the 988D is nearly $400. =/
I need to rethink this. I'll probably get it though. It is the smallest crane and would suit my needs size wise.

Now how's about this one? The folded specs are wonderful. How's the performance hold up? 1500 lbs at 2 feet and 500 lbs at 3 feet? How would that compare?

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/PDoc...03Brochure.pdf

Last edited by LittlePwny; 07-03-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
I meant the cranes you are linking to seem to be better than the HF version.

That one may be a bit tight but should work as long as you avoid trucks and large V8s, I am sure the clearance would be ok without using an engine leveler but then that can present problems itself. That leveler down at the bottom of the page looks like a good one if you don't already have one but just like the crane the HF version is a bit flimsy and I only mentioned them as an example of a not-so-good outfit to compare to. You are wise to check these things before buying because a cheapo poorly built rig can cause a lot of damage and could get you hurt! Also if the concrete is really rough you will want the biggest wheels practical because tiny wheels will tend to leave you stuck and can be really frustrating. If you will have room to roll a vehicle back from the crane and not have to roll the crane while it is loaded however this may not be a problem for you, an inch or so of wheel size can make a world of difference on concrete.
These things meaning engine leveler specs? A poorly build rig is the crane and leveler pair, correct?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:35 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
But just consider the ALTERNATIVE!
Good point! LOL
Old 07-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

I have a very hard time getting my head around 'life altering' tools that are made in a commie country. I've had too many failures with China made crap that I will gladly pay double or even triple the price for something NOT made there.......and I'm amazed at how many hard core hot rodders buy products from there. I value my life and limb too much to take that chance just to save a few bucks...
Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1
I have a very hard time getting my head around 'life altering' tools that are made in a commie country. I've had too many failures with China made crap that I will gladly pay double or even triple the price for something NOT made there.......and I'm amazed at how many hard core hot rodders buy products from there. I value my life and limb too much to take that chance just to save a few bucks...

I was wondering how long it would take before someone would bring this up.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:25 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Quote:
In my case I did look around, the ones at the parts stores were from the other side of the world too and they cost more. I shopped around and got the largest one I could find. If I could have found one sold local that I could have picked up the next day I would have purchased it instead. I didn't want to have to pay shipping and order it on line when I could pick one up.

I do try to buy American Made products as much as I can when I can find them.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

I could not agree more BUT after a while I had to just give up and join the crowd because it has reached the point where it is nearly impossible to buy all American. Some China imports are not so bad quality wise but "not so bad" is not the same as "good" and it is going to be up to the buyer to determine if the quality is acceptable or not. Buying American because it is the right thing to do and good for the economy is a noble gesture but when even the American companies farm out their products to China it gets a bit frustrating, especially when they try to charge domestic prices for imports.

BTW, time is running out to buy American made Vise Grips since the Chinese crap is starting to find it's way into the stores now. They sold out to China last year and closed their American plant so from here on they are going to be from China and no longer made here. I got the chance last week while at Lowe's to compare the "made in America" version to the China import and there certainly is a noticeable difference in quality. The chrome finish is different and the lines in the metal from the presses not nearly as crisp, also the teeth in the jaws look like what you would expect to find on a tool from Harbor Freight or the like. There are still a few of the good American ones out there so get,em while you can, I did!
Old 07-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Yup, I know it's getting harder and harder to find quality American stuff but there's still other countries to buy from that make good tools etc other than China. I do own some things made in China but I do try my best not to buy crap from that country if I can. Japan makes good tools too and so do some other places. And it really chaps my arse when stores buy China made crap and charge domestic made prices for it.....
Old 07-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I try to buy US too.But them day's are getting harder and harder.When you do buy other then US ..You have to use good judgement..There is some good tools out there.I have also bought some US ''crap'' !!!!! So now I look for good Quality stuff,No matter where it's from..
Old 07-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Air-Powered, hydraulic ram from Harbor Frieght - should work with just about any cherry picker..I got mine on sale for 59 and change - priceless!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94562

Old 07-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Cherry pickers are nice when you have one but are always in the way it seems, I always used to borrow a friends when I needed one. When I moved out of town it became a hassle to borrow all the time so I welded up a frame from 2X6" steel tubing and used a chain hoist to pull motors, I soon found many other uses for the frame and it stayed outside the shop door all the time not taking any space at all, being able to lift heavy loads out of a truck bed right at the door was a godsend!

There was no height restriction as the frame was 12ft tall and with heavy loads there is no balance issue so I found it more useful. Except for the fact you had to roll cars out from under...it was perfect. A chain hoist is very fast and easy to use with a single person, pickers not so much. The other issue I had with pickers is they don't slide under many cars especially small imports, my RX7 race cars were a good example. Another good use for the frame was pulling frames or straightening pillars, with the frame bolted to the ground it was a very handy pull point if the car was chained to the other side.

Just another option to consider.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

That's what I've always used, although mine's made of wood, and if you're not yanking an engine, you can hang a porch swing on it.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:10 AM

Last photo:

This is the unit I bought from Auto Zone, it was on sale at the time and I truly think the kid didn't do his math right. I got it for $175 and yes, it is made in China, just like 75% (or more) of the stuff we buy at Summit or Jegs.

Go to www.Larincorp.com, hit products and scroll through lifting equip to the last page, it's the only engine hoist they have. Model # EH-2F 4000 lbs. I have seen the orange colored hoists and some of them are really scary. The thickness of the steel is marginal at best. The Larin is a little thicker and the welding is actually pretty good, I did install bigger grd. 8 bolts though. Been using it for 3 years now and no problems.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.