Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please help me ID this SBC 350?

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  BuzzLOL 
#1 ·
I have posted her before about this, but now have more photos to help try id this engine.
Front tag by the passenger head at the front says VL041800.
Block casting number is illegible, but the date stamp and GM with a 48 by it are ok.
379 cast on both side under the exhaust manifolds, started cleaning the top side and painted orange, still need to do the bottom.
Any help would be appreciated as I am having problems getting the motor to run, and may need some parts soon.
The current configuration has an electronic ignition, everything is in the alternator, so I know it is not the original motor.
It is currently resting in my 1970 Monte Carlo.
Need more pics, just ask what you need to help me out.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe this will be of value to you or someone else that may be having similar problems. There should be a number cast in to the passenger side head under the valve cover according to their information. That should get you in the ball park on the heads, doesn't mean they are original to the engine, but it is a starting point maybe.

Chevy Identification Numbers

Kelly

#3 ·
I think the 379 block was used for replacement engines from GM.TargetMaster included.It could be 2 bolt or 4 bolt & could be 1 of several different configurations from an LT-1 replacement shortblock to a TargetMaster..I think it could accept both, a left, or, rite side dipstick.The heads could be the original heads,so,a casting # for them may help,but,the only sure way to know would be to pull the heads to see what pistons are there,or'maybe a borescope thru the sparkplug hole.

#4 ·
With the entire casting # obscured the way it is, you've only got an educated guess that it is the # 379 block and thus a 350 engine.

Head casting # could help. but doesn't guarantee anything.

The VL code from the front pad is likely crate engine related, but most of the crate engine codes are not usually available around the web, and I have no idea where to tell you to search for more info(beyond maybe a sympathetic parts counter man at you local dealership, possibly).

You are likely going to have to pull a head off, and either pull and inspect or degree and measure the lift of the cam to truly find out exactly what you have.

#5 ·
Any help would be appreciated as I am having problems getting the motor to run, and may need some parts soon.
The current configuration has an electronic ignition, everything is in the alternator, so I know it is not the original motor.
. Don't really need to ID the engine...

. Check condition of sparkplug wires and sparkplugs... distributor cap and rotor... mechanical advance mechanism under rotor... leaking ignition vacuum advance canister... leaking vacuum in power brake booster... leaking vacuum in choke pulloff... choke flapper fully closed when engine cold, opens fully after 5 minutes running... oil carb. linkages and shafts at bearing points...

. get a compression tester and test all 8 cylinders, distributor B+ wire unplugged, while holding carb. wide open throttle, all sparkplugs out, cranking it with starter... write down max pressure readings for all 8 cylinders... compare them...

. Get a timing light and check ignition timing (with vacuum advance hose off and plugged) at idle (10-16 degrees before TDC) and watch for timing advance (36-40 max TDC) while revving engine in park...

. That should be a good start for finding condition... engine should run just like a new car when everything is right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.