please help me with my hp - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2004, 02:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

please help me with my hp

hi, hows everyone doing today.

i searched around and couldn't find an exact or supstantial answer for my question, so here it goes.

i have a silver 1984 chevy impala with a stock 305, single exhaust and a quadra-jet carb. anyone who has a car that they are trying to make powerful knows that 200 hp is not enough. i would like to get, at the moment, at least 500hp with no charger or blower, for a reletivly cheap route. i have a 350 stock block sitting around that i plan on putting in my car, but i want to squeeze the big 500 out of it before hand. seeing as i don't know enough about engines to decide what is best to put on it, i come to the experianced that dwell at this fine website. got any ideas

ps-- i sort of want to stroke my 350 to something bigger.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

500 horse is possible.

Check out ryan's stroker page:

500 horse, naturally aspirated 383, streetable cam

(should be the first one on the page)

I don't know if I'd consider that motor "cheap" no 500 horse mill is going to be. The heads alone are something like 1200 dollars a pair. I would say 4-5000 for the motor. You'll need quality rods etc.

Dont forget that you'll need probably another 10 thousand dollars for:

Cooling upgrade, tranny upgrade, chassis upgrade (roll bar, optional tubs, subframe connectors, traction bars) new tires, U joints and drive shaft and a rear end, something like a 14 bolt or a 9" (probably another 1500 or 2k)

Total pricetag for your 305 to 500horsepower 383 swap:

Roughly.... $15,000.

You're dreaming man.

K

Oh, btw, your other option would be to use cheaper components and use NOS, but you still are looking at upgrading the chassis.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

425 HP AD--BY HOLLEY

HELLO TROLL KILLER-

--THANKS FOR ASKING--I AM KIND OF TIRED AND CRABBY TODAY-BUT THINK I CAN HELP--ALITTLE----

enclosed is a magazine add from holley
that shows how to do exactly as you want--but---the frame additions are needed as well the gentleman above talks about-----but you can get the hp---if you follow this add very reasonable.....

you can of coarce swap out the fuel injection unit for a carb--but you will need a good high rise intake manifold--if you do...

the add is self explanatory---let me know what you end up doing---i did this but went with a roller cam--etc----instEAd of whats here---

best of luck and do let me know what you decide......also you can get all of the parts in the add off e-bay for less then half-----this will help keep your costs down a great deal---by 40 to 50 % at the least.....so write down whats on the add and go from there

Its a start for you--and better then a good one.....

all the best
ALASKAN

also listing to people on this board-like 1 bad 80--adkart----willis and several more are as or more important,,,

ps---the add is to big for the file---email me a message here and i'll send it along if you wish.......

FILE ADD SIZE---514KB
Old 03-17-2004, 07:28 AM

thanks

thanks for replying that fast.

the thing is, im talking about the engine right now, not the chasis, or roll cage or anything. i know im probably going to spend more then im estimating right now, but i'd like to try to get my cost down. ebay is a nice place, and ill probably get some stuff off of there, thanks, i will e-mail you ALASKAN when i get some more time (pressed for time at the moment).

id just like to know some things that i can put on a 350 engine that will get me a substantial amount of horsepower.
ive heard that good pistons will do really good and a set of 2-0-2 heads will too. ive also heard that if i take some 2-0-2 heads and bore it to 60 over, forged steel crank, a set of really good pistons, and a better then stock carb will give me around 450-500 hp, is there any truth to this? i know that changing stuff over stuff over to: ie- electric water pump and electric fan will give me a good bit of pony, but i just want to find out what i can do to just the engine alone.

again, thanks to everyone that replied, thats more then ive got on any other site.

Troll Killer

This is repling to killer formula a little bit more.

thanks for repling. as i said in the previous message, i just want fix up my 350 engine right now. my transmission is a REALLY good 4 speed automatic overdrive trans, i've got a quality posi rear end on it, and nothing underneath is roting yet, so im ok on that stuff right now. i know i need a better carb, or at least tune the one i have up right now.

Take into effect that i live in a small area that is over peppered with car garages and my dad or friends know most of them pretty well, so the money probably isn't as bad because i can get some deals on stuff. when i got done doing my body work on my car, i got a paint job that looks better then a lot of professionally done jobs and i only paid the guy $100 to spray with everything including chipguard and two clear coats, so we'll just imagine that i can get some* good deals. i plan on putting at least 15 g's into the running of the car before it is all down, but money, at the moment, is a big factor, so all i want to know is some good (not the best, or most expensive) parts to put on my 350. thanks a lot for your insight, it makes me feel better to know some people reply to my questions. ive been to other places and ask questions and i never hear back.

thanks, Troll Killer

Last edited by Troll_Killer; 03-17-2004 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:34 AM

cheap 500 horses??
yeah good luck buddy.
as for 200 hp. a stock 84 305 came with something like 160.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Check some of the dyno tests out for AFR heads on their web site:

http://www.airflowresearch.com

I think you'll find what you're looking for there.

I built this up and would love to tell you how it runs but can't yet. I'm expecting quite a grin on my face when I finally get everything figured out though.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/84459/index3.html

I think it will be much easier to reach your 500 hp mark with a 383 instead of a 350. If you're starting from scratch, you'll be buying some new parts for the bottom end anyway.

-Erik

"cheap 500 horses??"

Good point but it sounds like he's willing to spend some money. Just not aftermarket aluminum block, etc.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:00 AM

to clear one thing up, i know i said stock 305, but it has had very small work done to it by the previous owner. so it is getting close to 200 horsepower.

oh, and when i say "cheap" i don't mean i want to build a 2000 dollar engine that im expecting to get 500 hp, i mean i would like to know any "cheaper routes. """cheaper""", not cheesey. thank you ELUKAS for your help. let me ask a simpiler question, someone told me that i would get a lot of help out of my pistons, so what kind of pistons would be best for a 383, but not crazy expensive.

Troll Killer
Old 03-19-2004, 07:13 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

most of your horsepower will come from the heads and cam,
If you want 500 h.p. there will be no inexpensive parts,you may be able to get some used parts here and there, but it will still be expensive.
buy a real good set of heads,new or used,and a good cam.these are part of a setup,but it all must match each other. get a list of what you need, right down to the thickness of the head gasket ,and don't deviate one bit,cause you'll lose the combination.
even something as simple as the thickness of the head gasket can affect h.p. and compression ratio.
taking shortcuts and putting big heads on a stock block for now, will kill the engine, it's all or nothing with a build that strong.mikei
Old 03-19-2004, 06:26 PM

i was pretty sure i was going to have to spend the biggest chunk of money on the heads. the heads that i was looking at were a set of 2.02 195cc street heads ($1250). thanks to the article i got from elukas i now have some what of a guide to go by.

as far as the cam, that is one thing i don't know much at all on. do you have any suggestions to what kind of cam would be best with a good deal. could you stick duel over head cam on my impala (asuming that i have a 383 stroker in it), and would it be worth it if i can.

TK
Old 03-20-2004, 06:41 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

dohc is probably out of the quesion,as far as the cam goes, that's part of the setup i spoke of.the valves may have to be 205/something, i don't know that you can get 500 ponies from 202 valves. mines 1.95/1.6 and she has about 300 h.p.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:26 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

It's always been my opinion (if its worth anything), that you don't need 2.02 valves in a street motor. 1.94s breath well enough, depending of course on the heads that they are in.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:29 PM

look at elukas's second link that he gave me. it is magazine i think, that posted an artical. it gives what they stuck on a regular 350 engine to stroke it to a 383 and get 540 hp. it, from what i can see, matches up pretty well.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:54 PM

Talking

We have a Troll Killer now?!

You're gonna be awfully busy!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by killerformula
500 horse is possible.

Check out ryan's stroker page:
Wow!

That Combo 17 is very impressive.

Last edited by JunkYardFrog; 03-22-2004 at 03:54 PM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.