Please Help A Newbie Select The Proper Cam - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 01:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Please Help A Newbie Select The Proper Cam

Hey guys, And Gals.

This is my first time posting on the site, And I have to say, Its incredable. I look forword to learning alot from everyone here.

So heres the scoop:

I have 12 days befor I head to school for my apprenticeship, and would like to see my car running again.

I dont want to just run out and buy a "big" cam and see what happens. If im spending money and time, I want to make it as worth wile as possible.

Ive looked into the selecting a cam thing on google, and have been over welmned by all the info. I fugure, asking people with hands on expreience will be my best bet.

I want a cam that will give me the most possible torque and horsepower, while still having enough vacuum to operate my brakes between 0-5500 rpm.
I I have to make a vacuum resivoiur, its not that big of a deal. So I want it to be close!

I want all my power from off the line, to 5500 rpm like I said above, Im not looking to race. I just want to be thrown back out of the hole, while driving around town. I want torque, more than horse power.

Heres are the specs on my mild motor:

78 monte carlp
86 vette l98 -not aluminun 350
edlebrock performer intake
edelbrock 650 performer carb,
700r4 outof the vette
3:55 Rear end
non shorty headers with 3 inch dual exhaust, (no x or y pipe)
have the nasty 462624 heads. there 76 cc
9:1 compression
Dont know if the heads are 1.9 intake or 2.2?

I have to get back to work, I will check back in couple hours, and edit my post for grammer and spelling, and add more info if needed.

Im hopeing with this info you can suggest a cam that will make me happy.
Thanks for any help,
Alan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

Call CompCams 800-999-0853 and they will tell you exactly what you need to meet your criteria. They can even tell you the nearest dealer.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I would go with a VooDoo 256 cam from Lunati- call them and have them gind it on a 107LSA and mate it with some 1.6:1 roller rockers when you can afford to get those. It'll have GREAT low end... but it will fall off after about 5000 RPM... if you want a little more top end step up to the VooDoo 262.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:30 PM

I would run a performer edelbrock cam 2102 you can get the same grind cheaper at summit for 90.00 with lifters and would work good with your cr and heads.I would also get a 2.25" X-pipe from summit or h-pipe it would be much better with your combo than the 3"
Old 05-14-2008, 03:40 PM

sum-k1102 summit cam and lifter set 90.00
sum-642122 summit 2.25" x-pipe 75.00
If you like the flowmaster sound but not the price try a set of force mufflers from jegs,Or magnaflows sound decent too
You will want to run a x-pipe and smaller pipes your low end will be much nicer and mileage may go up as well because your engine cant use that much exhaust velocity effectively at street rpms
Old 05-14-2008, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

I recommend two cams. The first cam will have a better idle, better mpg, better low rpm power. The second cam will have more top end and sound meaner.

CS 255DEH-10 (compcam)
255/261 advertised duration
203/212 at 0.050
0.421/0.451 lift
110 lsa
1200 to 5500 rpm

or

CS 265DEH-10 (compcam)
265/269 advertised duration
211/221 at 0.050
0.442/0.465 lift
110 lsa
1500 to 5750 rpm
Old 05-14-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreruption
I would run a performer edelbrock cam 2102 you can get the same grind cheaper at summit for 90.00 with lifters and would work good with your cr and heads.I would also get a 2.25" X-pipe from summit or h-pipe it would be much better with your combo than the 3"
Thanks for all suggestions!
I was going to buy this cam, Since edlebrock desighed it to work with the intake and carb. But wasnt sure if I could do better?
Does anybody know if my vette heads would be the 1.9 or 2.2 valves?

Now my next question:

With all these choices you gave me, Which one do I choose!!??

Thanks again for all the info everyone.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:46 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouper
Thanks for all suggestions!
I was going to buy this cam, Since edlebrock desighed it to work with the intake and carb. But wasnt sure if I could do better?
Does anybody know if my vette heads would be the 1.9 or 2.2 valves?

Now my next question:

With all these choices you gave me, Which one do I choose!!??

Thanks again for all the info everyone.
you can do a LOT better. that "edelbrock" cam is actually a generic cam that's made by a division of Fedral Mogul. There is absolutely nothing special about that cam other than it will alst forever and can work on a stock engine.

The comp cam recomended wasn't a bad choice, but its not as good as the one I recomended from Lunati- however if you do use the one I recomended you have to be sure to use plenty of EOS (available from GM) when breaking it in since it has steeper ramps- which equate to more power but require good oil to last long (not really an issue with the smaller durations as I have suggested, but can be a problem with the longer cams with higher lifts).

I promise you will have more power with the cam I recomended over the edelbrock cam- however as I noted you have to take precautions when breaking it in.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
you can do a LOT better. that "edelbrock" cam is actually a generic cam that's made by a division of Fedral Mogul. There is absolutely nothing special about that cam other than it will alst forever and can work on a stock engine.

The comp cam recomended wasn't a bad choice, but its not as good as the one I recomended from Lunati- however if you do use the one I recomended you have to be sure to use plenty of EOS (available from GM) when breaking it in since it has steeper ramps- which equate to more power but require good oil to last long (not really an issue with the smaller durations as I have suggested, but can be a problem with the longer cams with higher lifts).

I promise you will have more power with the cam I recomended over the edelbrock cam- however as I noted you have to take precautions when breaking it in.

So you recmend this cam: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...K&autoview=sku with a 107 lsa, instead of the 112 it has?
Can I oder this from my local parts store? I want to be installing it this weekend.
It seams crazy, but im going to take advice from a stranger, and probl buy this cam, unless someone gives me a reason not to! Thanks for the help dude,
Couple other questions, since you seem to know whats going on.
Looking at my specs above, do you have an estimate on the horse power/torque this motor should make?
Also, With the suggest cam, Will I require a vacuum res for my brakes?
Thanks again for the great help!

O, and one more thing, Does it have to be a lunati cam? If my parts store can find the exact same specs on a differnt brand, it would be the same same correct?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:16 AM

Last photo:

I don't like the voodoo or the comp xtreme cams. They are noisier and tend to wear quicker and have a greater potential to go flat. Sure, they make a little more power but they are pushing the ramp limits of flat tappets and todays motor oil isn't helping.

Here is how I see it. Your gear can handle a pretty good size cam but the compression and stall can't. Plus you want good vacuum and don't plan to go over 5500. And the stock heads suck so you need more exhaust duration and a tighter LSA.

So, I would limit intake duration (at 0.050") to no more than 212 and run 8 to 10 degrees more on the exhaust. Keep LSA between 108 and 110.

The general rule is... If you are having a hard timing deciding between two cams, then get the smaller one. Better to under-cam than over-cam.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

Used my Camquest Program from CompCams and they recommend a 268H or 270H, which are both mild cams with improved performance over stock and would give you good drive-ability. These are both hydraulic lifter cams vs hydraulic roller lifters,
Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 AM

Mt Recent 350 cam

I just rebuilt the top end of a buick 350 which included a new dual bladder brake booster on a former non-power assisted brake system.

Reed Cams of GA (find them on Google) provided a custom ground cam which perfectly matched my needs. Power range of 1500-5500rpm plently of brake boost and still drivable. They offered me cam design expertise I couldn't find elsewhere and were very responsive to my specific needs. Give'em your set-up and goals and they'll grind the cam you need. Takes some time though, mine was 4-weeks from initial contact to delivery.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

You really really really really really need to ditch those heads.
Think of the camshaft in a motor like the conductor of an orchestra.
He can flap his arms around all he wants but if the musicians can't play worth a
*&&^% no amount of effort on his part alone will create music.

Swap the heads for something that will raise the compress ratio and improve engine airflow and then cam it up.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
68 Camaro 383

Last photo:

Make sure that you go with a roller cam. These days lots of people are wiping lobes. Do a search and you will see what a nightmare it can be. It means tearing down the whole engine cleaning and replacing bearings yuck. Roller cam rev nice and easy too. Myself I went with an ISKY since they have such great customer support when selecting a cam.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:19 PM

Thanks for all the great help everyone. I would love roller rockers, But Im on a tight budget here. My cam wore out, Thats why im replacing it. In the future, I would love a set of afr heads, an air gap, and a cam to match.
but for now I have to keep it mild.
What do you guys think of this cam I picked out:?

Comp cam 12-238-2
I was told hydrolic lifter was more powerful than solid?

Thanks again guys!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.