Please help with opinions on replacing Camaro rear subframe rails - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 09:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Please help with opinions on replacing Camaro rear subframe rails

I hope this is OK...I originally posted this question in 'General Tech' but didn't receive and responses so please take a look and see if you have any advice for me...any help will be greatly appreciated to fix my problem as I realize this is a big safety issue.
I just need opinions from people that have had this same problem and how they conquered it or reasons not the try it a certain way.........See First post Below.

I am a newbie here and have searched all over the Hotrodders bulletin board and everywhere else I can find on the net to find help on replacing the rear frame rails on my 71' Camaro with no luck. Has Anyone had to do this? The frame rails themselves are very rusted through and some of the sheet-metal underneath but the floor-pans inside are good. I bought the car from a guy that told me the frame rails needed to be replaced and even gave me the rails that run from the back lief spring connections to where the rail turns down (kinda like an L shape) but the part that is rusted out the worst is the part that connects to the rails I have and turns toward the front of the car. I can't find those pieces anywhere. Please offer any help any of you may have for me, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2003, 12:18 AM
OddJob

Last photo:

Have you looked in your local wrecking yards. There must be quite a few cars with that same body type out there.
Either buy the whole frame and use it or just the back end if thats all you can find. But since the rear half is that bad i would really try to find a better frame. Cutting a frame and keeping it straight are not real hard but it does take some knowledge and experience.
The whole frame would be the best bet though since you can prep/paint it and then install the rest of the car peice by piece as you go.

DOHHH! sorry about this mistake but I just realized your talking about a Uni body not a full frame car. But I would repair/replace the floor of the car first. Having the frame and no good metal to bolt it to wouldn't do much good.

Last edited by pzatchok; 09-14-2003 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:26 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by pzatchok

DOHHH! sorry about this mistake but I just realized your talking about a Uni body not a full frame car. But I would repair/replace the floor of the car first. Having the frame and no good metal to bolt it to wouldn't do much good.
Replacing the floor is replacing part of the frame on a unibody car since that is what the frame rail sections are welded to. If it isn't done right the body can be permanantly out of alignment and the rear of the car can collaps. Any repairs on that section of the car has a dramatic effect on the safety of the car driving down the road and the safety in an impact.

As an added note.... The rear of that car is designed to collaps under a certain amount of pressure in a collision. It is designed to be a crumple zone, as is the front end. It is not safer to build it stronger, as that way it will be forced into the passenger compartment.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:33 PM

FYI..I have found a subframe kit from Alston racing that will replace the frame rails from the very rear leaf spring connection on up to the front it also allows you to tie into the front sub-frame clip.....as for crumpling for safety(see above post).....Don't rear-end me in a cheapass late model car.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.