please help...paint/filler questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 02:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

please help...paint/filler questions CHROME??????

Hey guys,

I was going to buy some new wheels for the roadrunner, but something has come up and I cant shell out the dough...sooo..Im gonna go the cheap route and just keep the wheels I have. However..My domes (chrome) where the lugs go in are all pitted and crappy, so I want to paint'em gloss black. Can someone tell me how to make these look nice? I think I have to sand them down and then add some kind of filler product , then paint them with some kind of black gloss paint, then finally put some sort of clear spray on them to prevent chipping? I dont know diddly about body work and Im not sure how to work with chrome or what to buy here...Help please?

Last edited by mkjarobinson; 02-08-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: nobody has responded!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 PM

First you are gonna have to take all the shine out of the chrome with sand paper because the paint will not stick to shiney chrome. Once sanded, clean em good with acetone. prime them with a good etching primer to fill the sand scuffs and to promote good adhesive with the paint. They sell wheel paint at oriellys or autozone. They also sell the clear to go with it. Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:12 PM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

So slimcheese, you say to sand the chrome, with what grit? I have stayed away from painting chrome because I have seen it peal so often. I herd years ago to start with 180 and then prime to get a good adhesion for bumpers but not wanting my work to peal and look bad I have just stayed away from painting chrome altogether.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:26 PM

I normally use 180. Move to finer once shine has gone. I do agree about painting chrome is a pain. Most of the time if its a metal piece I just burn the chrome off. I did paint some 20'' wheels on an old toyota 4x4 by sanding the chrome and priming before paint. Held up for three years. Had to do touch ups from time to time. I was only giving a way I have done it. There may be a better way, I dont know. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

I've heard that if you get through the chrome to the nickle, it will stick just fine. It has worked for me, so don't be shy with that sandpaper, then use the primer to smooth them back out.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:49 AM

Last photo:

Cool, good to know if I ever have to but still will avoid it. May be try it on something of mine first.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

1 Sand blast all of the shine off the chrome and all of the rust out of the pits sanding will not get the rust out of the pits

2 Prime with epoxy primer let cure and sand with 180 grit sandpaper and fill all the pits with putty and sand smooth with 180 grit

3 Then prime with a 2K primer surfacer let cure and sand with 320 or 400 wet

4 then you are ready for paint single stage is what I use for black but thats up to you
Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 PM

Last photo:

Yes, ok. That sounds like I would go that route, as I see it would have a better adhesion.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.