Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Please point me in the right direction??
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I agree with what Sam is saying. Buying a bunch of fancy stuff before trying it can be a waste of money. Get the basics and learn metal with basic hand tools.

I'd also add:

shrinking disk (requires buffer)

tear drop mallets( I got a good one from harbor freight and shaved the head nearly flat. The best hammer I have. I have both sized they offer)

palm nailer (make your own bits)

ear muffs

a slapper. I don't have one but use a dinging spoon. Will probably get a slapper soon though. Hear a lot of things about them.

Here's a pic of some 1947 fenders after one round with a palm nailer on shot bag and then shrinking with a disc. At this time I was still figuring out the best procedure but was amazed with how good it got with one round. I guess it's easy for me to sit here and say "it could have been perfect had I repeated the process" but I don't know that but I did feel if I repeated it would have made a huge difference. Just not sure how close to perfect I could have gotten due to time but it's a start in that direction.