Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pls critique my combo...need input
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd36 View Post
bygddy, I'm with my87Z. Those "stone stock 416 heads" are the item that makes me go ! With the small chambers, combined with the thin headgasket so you have a good quench, your compression ratio is too high for pump gas. With the small ports and only 1.84" intake valve they don't flow well either unless you have them ported. Unless you have the equipment and skills to port 'em the expense would pay for better heads. Opening the quench by using .041" head gaskets (like the FelPro 1003) would bring your CR down to about 10.4, but that's still marginal for pump gas, especially with the terrible quench.
I was wondering this as well, I had this thought on a wagon I sold last summer and was persuaded not to do it, but I started rethinking it knowing I would only use 94 octane and be somewhat conservitive with timing....using your reccomended head gasket might make this managable tho, and I found a set of L98 alum heads today for 200 bucks complete and clean....so now I'm more confused lol...