Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Pls critique my combo...need input (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pls-critique-my-combo-need-input-222136.html)

bygddy 07-25-2012 05:03 PM

Pls critique my combo...need input

Hey guys, first post here but been lurking a looong time....
In a nutshell, I'm putting together a dirt cheap 350 and would love any and all opinions, good or bad, power level expected, pitfalls, suggestions etc.....mostly spare parts I had lying around so very very low budget, here goes...
350, 70's vintage, rebuilt at some point, 4 valve relief flat tops, .015 felpro headgaskets,stone stock 416 heads with comp springs, Lunati bare bones, 443/465, 214/224, on a 112 ls, old spreadbore performer intake, 1" Carb spacer, good old quad up top, block hugger headers to 6 inch 3" bullets to open 3" sidepipes. TH350, stock converter, stage 2 tci shift kit, 411 gears all stuffed in a lumpy yellow 77 Vette. ....oh and stock HEI, msd wires, running only on 94 octane fuel.....elecfan, and can't really think of anything else.....so please, suggest, bash, offer opinions, whatever. Just looking for feedback....
Thanks in advance
Dave

bygddy 07-25-2012 07:42 PM

Nothing? Or is it so badly mismatched its not worth discussing lol.....

against all odds 07-25-2012 07:46 PM

What is the intended main use of the car?

vinniekq2 07-25-2012 07:49 PM

I have an 81 vette,lol. Thats what I started with.If you just wont spend any money to improve it then it is what it is.4.11 gears is a huge ratio for todays good parts available,imo.To take advantage of the 4.1s use a longer duration cam and buy a better ,after market coil.race it and run 13s.Those cars hook surprisingly well when the power is lower.

have some fun

bygddy 07-25-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by against all odds (Post 1577141)
What is the intended main use of the car?

Just something to abuse really, just looking for something a little loud and obnoxious that will have the ability to run a half decent (13's?) Number at the track....something that I can turn the tires off at will. Its not a pretty car, nor will it ever be, it was something I picked up virtually free and have almost zero cash in so far. Its just a fun beater....

bygddy 07-25-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1577143)
I have an 81 vette,lol. Thats what I started with.If you just wont spend any money to improve it then it is what it is.4.11 gears is a huge ratio for todays good parts available,imo.To take advantage of the 4.1s use a longer duration cam and buy a better ,after market coil.race it and run 13s.Those cars hook surprisingly well when the power is lower.

have some fun

I had a car awhile back that I spent plenty of cash on, alum heads, airgap, bg Carb, msd e-curve and on and on....it was fast for what it was, but this time around I'm going for a different approach, fast, fun, low low cost, junkyard stuff, used stuff, old stuff, whatever works....I pulled this out of a gravel lot with a buddy last year, it had been parked for 6yrs outside, in gravel and mud.....he replaced all the calipers, brake lines, and lost interest, I got it for 750$, replaced the master, fixed the headlights, installed an elec fan, and have been driving the snot out of it for a month now...its piss yellow, the paint is fkd, the upper portion of the birdcage is pretty much screwed, so its just a beater....will likely get flatblacked, lowered a couple inches, I suspect its going to be brutally loud given the compression and planned exhaust, and I'm OK with all of that....not everyone's thing I understand, but I'm not your average bear.....;)

vinniekq2 07-25-2012 10:31 PM

buy a used open plenum intake

bygddy 07-25-2012 10:31 PM

Only pic I seem to have.....yellow one is my junk, red one is a buddies I'm finishing up for him...and then a pic of my DD..
http://i48.tinypic.com/29usg1u.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/971df7.jpg

bygddy 07-25-2012 10:33 PM

Holy resize Batman....oops....how do I fix that?

bygddy 07-25-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1577190)
buy a used open plenum intake

I have a VC Jr sitting on a shelf, seems counter productive for the low rpm, hopefully high torque goal.....figured the old perfomer fit the bill better.

vinniekq2 07-25-2012 10:45 PM

look for an old torker or tarantula.some say the dual plane works better? I always get 2 to 3 mph more with open plenum.not a street master or street dominator though

cobalt327 07-26-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bygddy (Post 1577189)
I had a car awhile back that I spent plenty of cash on, alum heads, airgap, bg Carb, msd e-curve and on and on....it was fast for what it was, but this time around I'm going for a different approach, fast, fun, low low cost, junkyard stuff, used stuff, old stuff, whatever works....I pulled this out of a gravel lot with a buddy last year, it had been parked for 6yrs outside, in gravel and mud.....he replaced all the calipers, brake lines, and lost interest, I got it for 750$, replaced the master, fixed the headlights, installed an elec fan, and have been driving the snot out of it for a month now...its piss yellow, the paint is fkd, the upper portion of the birdcage is pretty much screwed, so its just a beater....will likely get flatblacked, lowered a couple inches, I suspect its going to be brutally loud given the compression and planned exhaust, and I'm OK with all of that....not everyone's thing I understand, but I'm not your average bear.....;)

As long as it's not pinging, run the snot out it. I'd keep a dual plane on it, personally. I'm not a fan of loud pipes, or flaked:nono: paint...;) But for the money involved, what's not to like.

bygddy 07-26-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1577216)
As long as it's not pinging, run the snot out it. I'd keep a dual plane on it, personally. I'm not a fan of loud pipes, or flaked:nono: paint...;) But for the money involved, what's not to like.

No flake! Lol..... flat black.....chrome side pipes, L88 hood, ralleys with 275's.....I have a dream!

my87Z 07-26-2012 09:56 AM

the only problem i see here is the fact that you are planning on running a stock iron 416 305 HO head that has either 58 or 60cc combustion chambers with a set of flat tops in a 350, with a mild cam. the compression is going to be 11:1 and wont likely run on pump gas. to try and get it to run on pump gas you could open up the quench some to say .060-.065 which should put you in the 10.2-10.3:1 range.

sounds like a fun beater though

BigEd36 07-26-2012 12:43 PM

bygddy, I'm with my87Z. Those "stone stock 416 heads" are the item that makes me go :eek:! With the small chambers, combined with the thin headgasket so you have a good quench, your compression ratio is too high for pump gas. With the small ports and only 1.84" intake valve they don't flow well either unless you have them ported. Unless you have the equipment and skills to port 'em the expense would pay for better heads. Opening the quench by using .041" head gaskets (like the FelPro 1003) would bring your CR down to about 10.4, but that's still marginal for pump gas, especially with the terrible quench. :eek: