Pls critique my combo...need input - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pls critique my combo...need input

Hey guys, first post here but been lurking a looong time....
In a nutshell, I'm putting together a dirt cheap 350 and would love any and all opinions, good or bad, power level expected, pitfalls, suggestions etc.....mostly spare parts I had lying around so very very low budget, here goes...
350, 70's vintage, rebuilt at some point, 4 valve relief flat tops, .015 felpro headgaskets,stone stock 416 heads with comp springs, Lunati bare bones, 443/465, 214/224, on a 112 ls, old spreadbore performer intake, 1" Carb spacer, good old quad up top, block hugger headers to 6 inch 3" bullets to open 3" sidepipes. TH350, stock converter, stage 2 tci shift kit, 411 gears all stuffed in a lumpy yellow 77 Vette. ....oh and stock HEI, msd wires, running only on 94 octane fuel.....elecfan, and can't really think of anything else.....so please, suggest, bash, offer opinions, whatever. Just looking for feedback....
Thanks in advance
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Nothing? Or is it so badly mismatched its not worth discussing lol.....
Old 07-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

What is the intended main use of the car?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:49 PM

I have an 81 vette,lol. Thats what I started with.If you just wont spend any money to improve it then it is what it is.4.11 gears is a huge ratio for todays good parts available,imo.To take advantage of the 4.1s use a longer duration cam and buy a better ,after market coil.race it and run 13s.Those cars hook surprisingly well when the power is lower.

have some fun
Old 07-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds View Post
What is the intended main use of the car?
Just something to abuse really, just looking for something a little loud and obnoxious that will have the ability to run a half decent (13's?) Number at the track....something that I can turn the tires off at will. Its not a pretty car, nor will it ever be, it was something I picked up virtually free and have almost zero cash in so far. Its just a fun beater....
Old 07-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
I have an 81 vette,lol. Thats what I started with.If you just wont spend any money to improve it then it is what it is.4.11 gears is a huge ratio for todays good parts available,imo.To take advantage of the 4.1s use a longer duration cam and buy a better ,after market coil.race it and run 13s.Those cars hook surprisingly well when the power is lower.

have some fun
I had a car awhile back that I spent plenty of cash on, alum heads, airgap, bg Carb, msd e-curve and on and on....it was fast for what it was, but this time around I'm going for a different approach, fast, fun, low low cost, junkyard stuff, used stuff, old stuff, whatever works....I pulled this out of a gravel lot with a buddy last year, it had been parked for 6yrs outside, in gravel and mud.....he replaced all the calipers, brake lines, and lost interest, I got it for 750$, replaced the master, fixed the headlights, installed an elec fan, and have been driving the snot out of it for a month now...its piss yellow, the paint is fkd, the upper portion of the birdcage is pretty much screwed, so its just a beater....will likely get flatblacked, lowered a couple inches, I suspect its going to be brutally loud given the compression and planned exhaust, and I'm OK with all of that....not everyone's thing I understand, but I'm not your average bear.....
Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 PM

buy a used open plenum intake
Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Only pic I seem to have.....yellow one is my junk, red one is a buddies I'm finishing up for him...and then a pic of my DD..

Last edited by bygddy; 07-25-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Holy resize Batman....oops....how do I fix that?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
buy a used open plenum intake
I have a VC Jr sitting on a shelf, seems counter productive for the low rpm, hopefully high torque goal.....figured the old perfomer fit the bill better.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 PM

look for an old torker or tarantula.some say the dual plane works better? I always get 2 to 3 mph more with open plenum.not a street master or street dominator though
Old 07-26-2012, 02:25 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
I had a car awhile back that I spent plenty of cash on, alum heads, airgap, bg Carb, msd e-curve and on and on....it was fast for what it was, but this time around I'm going for a different approach, fast, fun, low low cost, junkyard stuff, used stuff, old stuff, whatever works....I pulled this out of a gravel lot with a buddy last year, it had been parked for 6yrs outside, in gravel and mud.....he replaced all the calipers, brake lines, and lost interest, I got it for 750$, replaced the master, fixed the headlights, installed an elec fan, and have been driving the snot out of it for a month now...its piss yellow, the paint is fkd, the upper portion of the birdcage is pretty much screwed, so its just a beater....will likely get flatblacked, lowered a couple inches, I suspect its going to be brutally loud given the compression and planned exhaust, and I'm OK with all of that....not everyone's thing I understand, but I'm not your average bear.....
As long as it's not pinging, run the snot out it. I'd keep a dual plane on it, personally. I'm not a fan of loud pipes, or flaked paint... But for the money involved, what's not to like.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
As long as it's not pinging, run the snot out it. I'd keep a dual plane on it, personally. I'm not a fan of loud pipes, or flaked paint... But for the money involved, what's not to like.
No flake! Lol..... flat black.....chrome side pipes, L88 hood, ralleys with 275's.....I have a dream!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

the only problem i see here is the fact that you are planning on running a stock iron 416 305 HO head that has either 58 or 60cc combustion chambers with a set of flat tops in a 350, with a mild cam. the compression is going to be 11:1 and wont likely run on pump gas. to try and get it to run on pump gas you could open up the quench some to say .060-.065 which should put you in the 10.2-10.3:1 range.

sounds like a fun beater though
Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM

Last photo:

bygddy, I'm with my87Z. Those "stone stock 416 heads" are the item that makes me go ! With the small chambers, combined with the thin headgasket so you have a good quench, your compression ratio is too high for pump gas. With the small ports and only 1.84" intake valve they don't flow well either unless you have them ported. Unless you have the equipment and skills to port 'em the expense would pay for better heads. Opening the quench by using .041" head gaskets (like the FelPro 1003) would bring your CR down to about 10.4, but that's still marginal for pump gas, especially with the terrible quench.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.