Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Plug Wire resistance.
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
I was just checking my MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm wires. Had these since about 2006 but they only have 30,000 miles on them.
To get the reading I have to put the ohms on 200K which is 200,000.
My meter says the wire is 115.2 and I'm thinking either I'm reading it wrong or this can't be right, if the resistance on the wire is that high I can't see how it ran at all, whats going on here? MSD says the resistance of these wires is about 50 ohms a foot, so am I doing something wrong here or is there another way to test it?
Nothing wrong at all. You could use a lower scale on the ohmeter, but it isnt that critical.
If you use a 1000 ohm scale, the wire would still read 115.2 or close to it.
115.2 Ohms is probably correct. 50 ohms per foot means the wire must be about 2 foot 3 inches long.
using a different scale is like changing the scale on a gauge.you wouldnt use a 0-1000 pound gauge to check the fuel pressure on a carbed engine that runs 7 pounds,it would be hard to get definative results.you would use a smaller scale gauge, say one with a 20-25 psi range.Making it easy to measure small differences in the actual value.Using a scale closer to the value you are looking to measure ensures a better accuracy of measurment.
I think your just confused about the scale thing,confusing the reading you are getting.