Plug wires ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Plug wires ?

I need a set of heat resistant plug wires for a mild street set-up SBC with hooker headers it doesnt run very hot but the wires are very close to the headers. I'm on a budget so I would like to get a good set that wont break the bank if thats possible...Thanks!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Use these sleeves, mad by Standard/Blue Streak. P/N SPP35

Attached Images
File Type: bmp SPP35.bmp (495.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 01:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7698
I need a set of heat resistant plug wires for a mild street set-up SBC with hooker headers it doesnt run very hot but the wires are very close to the headers. I'm on a budget so I would like to get a good set that wont break the bank if thats possible...Thanks!!
Taylor Spiro Pro http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/index.cgi/spiroPro

Good wires, put up with header heat for a long time, don't break the bank at about 50-60 dollars, some assembly required.

Bogie
Old 02-22-2012, 01:31 PM

Last journal entry: 1968 c-10
Last photo:

do you or have you ever consider header wrap?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:10 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Check out some Pro Comp on the KMJ performance website. I got a set of 10mm under 30 bucks and they work real good even on cyl. #3.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler454
do you or have you ever consider header wrap?
I find that with the new insulating materials being used that as long as there is an air gap between the wire, or the moulded ends that there is no need for additional thermal protection.

My daily driver which for many years is a 350 powered 89 S15. The exhaust is Sanderson conversion shorty headers which comes might close to the spark plug boots but doesn't touch them. The factory wires failed in about a year with insulating covers on the boots, Accel went 2 years with insulation on the first set and 1 year on an uninsulated set. The Taylors go 2 years between my regular replacements without additional protection. I don't know how long they would last as I replace wires every two years as a matter of course in prepping the truck for its emissions testing. I can say the wires I've taken off were just fine, but since Washington state tests to California standards but doesn't provide anything like a BAR inspection and approval of swaps before the CARB emissions inspection there is no protection from a piece of SMOG law that says if it fails the emissions test and has been modified, it has to be returned to the as built condition before being able to qualify to test again. Where in California when you do such a swap if the BAR technical inspector agrees that the swap meets the engineering intent of the emissions standard for the year of vehicle or engine whichever is the more stringent code, then the state recognizes the swap as equivalent to original equipment. So down the road a failure to pass emissions as the engine ages does not put you in the spot of having to return to original equipment. In the case of my S15 that would require removing the Frankenmouse with matching 4L60E then reinstalling an Iron Duke 4 with a Tremac 5 speed. So when I have to go for an emissions test I'm careful to touch all the tuneup bases with new parts which includes wires every time and new aftermarket cats every other time as it has true duals on an engine the factory never built.

To make life more interesting the engine is built from stuff lay around the shop. When first put together, it had a Camaro LT1 package put in it. Then we had a need for an LT1 to go racing, so we pulled that engine out. So I grabbed an almost new 880 Vortec short block from a 95 pickup that was in the shop, stuck the LT1 cam into it from the original swap engine. Took an extra set of LT1 heads sitting on the shelf, welded up the coolant passages, did some milling, drilling and porting to make them work on a Vortec block. Put in a set of Miller Mid Lift 1.6 rockers, Manley stepped push rod guide plates to run the valves. Stuck a GMPP LT1, 4 barrel conversion intake with a 95 TBI pickup distributor on it. Using an ancient Holley 4 barrel throttle plate with a set of L98 injectors and a 95 truck TBI computer with a new chip it all came together. Stuck it in fired it up, it's been there for ten years and 330,000 miles. It passes emissions easily, it gets tested as a 95 350 TBI truck because that's what the VIN on the block says it is, but as you can see it ain't nothin the factory ever built. This would never get past the California BAR inspector if I lived there, but my Saturday night pizza and beer breath would have a harder time passing at the emissions station than this engine does. But technically it's illegal so if it aver fails an emission test it's gone. I love it too much to let that happen so I take extra care before tests.

Bogie

Last edited by oldbogie; 02-22-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.