Hot Rod Forum banner

Plugging oil cooling lines a bad idea?

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Vortech 4.3 
#1 ·
My oil cooling lines on my 1988 fullsize Blazer 5.7L 4wd are leaking badly,I want to plugg them up for the rest of the winter,then fix em properly later on before it gets warm. What would the consequences of plugging be or risks that can happen? :confused: :pimp:

#2 ·
Yup..bad idea..if the oil overheats it basically cooks the oil resulting in sludge and poor lubrication..then the engine has a premature failure..that oil cooler is there for a reason so I woudl fix it..Even tho it is cold out the underhood and interior engine temps can get to a damaging level..

Sam

#4 · (Edited)
The oil cooler on those trucks was part of a towing package... Also noticed your in Canada (COLD...! ), I dont think its going to hurt also seeing how many many of those trucks dont have it also...

But just go to a GM dealer and get the new little plastic seals and replace them since your going to the trouble of removing them to plug the lines...

#5 ·
The filter adapter has a built in bypass so you could pound the lines flat I suppose.

Or get another filter adaper that doesnt hook up to cooling lines.

Your truck is probably set up for heavy duty use (such as pulling a trailer) at least for a light duty truck, so factory gave you a little extra insurance like engine oil cooler.

But zillions of small blocks never came with oil coolers so I wouldnt sweat it.

#7 ·
Get a non-EOC filter adapter and swap them out until you're ready to fix the lines. Any 4.3, 305 or 350 of the same vintage should be a good donor. Should be able to get one for pocket change at the local wrecking yard since it's not something they sell many of, like none. Your's on the other hand is a pricey item so don't lose it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.