Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ply floor in glass body 34 Ford 3w
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ply floor in glass body 34 Ford 3w

I need help with fitting a floor in my 34 3 window ford.

Its a fiberglass body with no steel frame or floor going on a kiwiconnection chassis. When the body is on the chassis and the front body mounts are siiting on the chassis, theres about 1/2" gap between the body flange and the chassis (see photo). The top side of the k member is about 1/4" below the top of the chassis. I'm thinking of using 3/4 marine ply floor.

I have a good idea how i'm gonna build the steel work inside the body, over the doors, cowl etc. The bits that i haven't got my head around are:

1) How best to attach the floor to the body, considering 2
2) How to attach the steel framework inside the body to the chassis.

If the steel feet (and flat bar) of the body framework sit on top of the floor, then the ply would/could crush to some degree. Bolting the feet directly to the chassis would be stronger and more rigid, but that makes the floor connection to the body more difficult .

So whats the best way - Should I use steel bosses inserted in larger (slightly) holes in the ply so the bolts can pull up tight agains them? or should the framework be bolted directly to the chassis?

Appreciate any thoughts...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 21.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	70134   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 22.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	70135   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 23.JPG