Hot Rod Forum banner

the plymouth.... A FEW QUESTIONS AND PICS

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  playsinthedirt 
#1 ·
well i got the front end stubbed and plated.
and axle mounted.
my caster is about 8 degrees! :nono:
ever try to turn the wheels by hand, when 3 others are pushing with 8 degrees of caster???? HAHAHAHA
i ran my hand over...GOOD TIMES!
well, that will be fixed in time with a combo of 4" blocks to raise it in the rearend, longer front shackles for the front leafs, and the weight of the engine n trans..

are angle shims advisable on a front beam?

next week the 326/th400 will be dropped in.
the floor needs replaced so im going to set the engine back as far as i can!
mabe between the driver and passenger seats!
BEFORE....

AFTER!!!!!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
BLAZERMAN said:
Why put the engine in side, with all the heat and noise?
Because he can! :thumbup:

h0trod389 - Looks like you are going up to the sky with your Plymouth unlike how you went down in the weeds with your 30Olds/31Chevy. How about some close up pics of how you did that front suspension.

#6 ·
That's what I call a HIGH STEPPER!!

There is so much room in that car you can move the motor back 2 feet and still have a place to put seats . :thumbup:

Does that monster have a name?

The 41 plymouth in my photogallery is called ..'the bomb" :D

You can shim up that straight axle to get it back to 5 or 6*..
Any good old time alignment shop should have some shims laying around for that..

BTW, that's some nice loking fab work. :)

later, mikey

#9 ·
I have a couple of questions, and am trying to learn something. Please don't take this wrong. I am a rookie on this type of suspension work.
The rear mount for the front springs looks very weak, I realize it still needs welded but once that is done, will it be sufficient?
The second, also on the front springs. Would re-arched springs get the desired results without the shackle extensions?
Looks like it will be a cool rod, what is the drivetrain?

#10 ·
1ownerT said:
I have a couple of questions, and am trying to learn something. Please don't take this wrong. I am a rookie on this type of suspension work.
The rear mount for the front springs looks very weak, I realize it still needs welded but once that is done, will it be sufficient?
The second, also on the front springs. Would re-arched springs get the desired results without the shackle extensions?
Looks like it will be a cool rod, what is the drivetrain?
both front n rear mounts are 1/4 thick. the ears on the rear shackle mount are 3/8". yes i can see how it would look weak, yet it is not finished.. it will have gussets on both sides when im done, will be pleanty strong.
rear shackles are a must on a leaf type suspension, front or rear..
it allows movement of the spring..
this wont effect steering due to the front solid shakle mounts.
these shacklesare only 3" id to id.. not toomuch.
re-arched, or dif springs could be used, but i utlized what i had.

drive train will be a 1964 326, tri-power, th400, fallowed by a 9"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.