Hot Rod Forum banner

plz help s15 blew up. 98 blazer tranny blew cani swap engines

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  disice1011 
#1 ·
i have a 98 chevy blazer with blown tranny with front end problems. also have a 92 gmc jimmy s15 with blown motor. i want to know if i can take the blazer engine and put it in to the jimmy. both have 4.3 v6s. the blazer has 4l60e tranny and the jimmy has a 700r in it. i know i cant take the 700r and put into the blazer because of the computer. but maybe the other way around ? i am told clueless please help

#2 ·
disice1011 said:
i have a 98 chevy blazer with blown tranny with front end problems. also have a 92 gmc jimmy s15 with blown motor. i want to know if i can take the blazer engine and put it in to the jimmy. both have 4.3 v6s. the blazer has 4l60e tranny and the jimmy has a 700r in it. i know i cant take the 700r and put into the blazer because of the computer. but maybe the other way around ? i am told clueless please help
Mechanically yes the bolts all fit, but the 4L60E needs a computer program to run, the 700R4 does not. GM sells a computer to make 4L60s go in vehicles without the capability to control the computer.

I don't think the computers will swap, this is a leap from OBD-1 to OBD-2 with completely different injection (TBI to CPI) with different data generators, sensors, resolvers etc.

I don't see this as simple or cheap.

An alternative could be to use the 98's short block with the 93's heads and injection. This ought to go without any problems. But I'm speaking from not actually having done this, just stuff I see as I do V8 swaps into S10s and S15s.

Bogie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.