Hot Rod Forum banner

Pneumatic suspended Ford roadster

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cboy 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

This is my first post here save for my intro.

A month or so ago I ran across a website or post from here where someone had used horizontally mounted airbags to suspent the FRONT on a ford 32 roadster. I can't for the life of me, find the site or post..... :( In light of my current setup and space restrictions I thought this might be another angle (ha, no pun intended, but cool... :mwink: ) to explore. I could really use some help pointing me in the direction of this info or share you experiences w/ something similar.

P.S. I can't use a verticle spring or bag setup......

Thanks for your time fellas,
Ken

#2 ·
I want to clarify just exactly what I'm looking for......

I'm NOT looking for info on a paricular brand or kit--there's plenty of info here I know.

I AM looking for the link to the article, pics, or info stated above. I know that there is plenty of info on various airbags and kits here but this particular setup I'd not seen or heard of before.

Thanks again!

#3 ·
:)

I have been a 32 Ford guy for over 40 years and owned mine for 30 ... and I have NEVER seen a decent looking set of horizontally mounted springs on a 32 Ford. I have only saw 2 or 3 1932 Fords ever done that way ... :rolleyes:
and they were NOT on 1932 Ford frames ...

Now Chevrolet did it that way in 1932 ... but they look like POO ... under the front IMHO ...

1932 Fords came with the front springs going from one side to the other ... :D

#5 · (Edited)
I have seen setups like that on several cars. I know of 2 using straight axles and 1 IFS for a 32 open car. They both look nice and could be adapted to remote/horizontal airbags really easily.

I have no pics but I could describe the technology fairly easily.
What are you trying to do?
Is there some other key info that you could give about the thread you are looking for that would help narrow it down?

Later, mikey

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for your input guys. I'm having trouble figuring out how to post a pic, :smash: but my dilema is due to the fact that I'm hanging the spring in front of the axle and using a longer spring. As the saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words". The result is that there is interferance between the cowl and the ubolts for the spring. I'm trying to avoid cutting the original sheetmetal to accomodate this setup. I agree that on a highboy it would look like crap IMO. At least with a hood they'll only look out of place w/ the engine compartment open.

I thought that I might be able to get around this with a front to back horiz bag setup. The bag would "simply" exert force on a 90* lever arm attached to the stock spring mount points. Oh, yes this is using a stock axle that I dropped about 2.5 inches --it's been a while so I don't remember exactly off he top of my head. I have some lever shocks that should help keep things tidy. The car will be full fendered w/ engine cover/hood so as far as looks go, it would be all covered and I think that I could make it all stealth. I'm brainstorming as many options as I can......hmm while I'm typing here, maybe I'll stretch the cowl and inch or so.

If you have any pics of other types of setups, I'm totally open minded.

#7 ·
I though I had some better shots to show this but can't lay my hands on them at the moment.

This first picture is from Allan Staniforth's book "Competition Car Suspension" and shows a coil over setup in an indy car that is mounted horizontally. I hope you can make out the design from this copy of the pic.

The second pic is from HP Books, "Street Rodders Chassis & Suspension Handbook" and shows a "remote" bag setup. Unfortunately they don't show a good pic of the front end set up the shaft shown in this shot attaches to a lever at spindle to activate the bag. While this particular bag is mounter vertically I don't see any reason it couldn't be mounter horizontally.

Also, Kugel makes a front end with coil overs activated by a similar lever action. You might be able to see it at their web site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.