Hot Rod Forum banner

Pneumatic tool for pitman arm removal

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  vettedreams2001 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys-

I was looking at harbor garbage today, and I see there's a cheap set of joint separators as well as an air hammer for low buck. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47868

and

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66315&xcamp=google&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&zmam=33951326&zmas=12&zmac=112&zmap=66315

I've only used a standard puller before, but its always been a HUGE pain to get these things off. I hear the secret is to use one of these pneumatic devices. Would this setup have the guts to pop the joint for me?

Thanks-

K

#2 ·
MO Those have ruined more ball joints and tierod ends than dirt. They are guaranteed to ruin the seal and usually damage the socket so the joint is loose. A couple strokes with a BFH backed up by another BFH will pop loose the most stubborn ones. One on each side of the socket the tapered stud goes through. If it is hanging by the stud, a couple good hits and it will fall out. If out is up, after a couple good hits, tap the end of the stud with the nut screwed on flush and it will usually come right out.

If you have to have a special tool, get one that grips under the socket and pushes on the stud. Even these require a tap on the puller screw with a hammer to pop them loose.

#5 ·
Yeah the pitman arm is a wear component on this truck and I won't be reusing it. Just wondered if you guys had more luck using a pneumatic hammer and picklefork-type tool for pitman arm removal from the steering box.

Some other guys swear by gettign an angle grinder and cutting a notch out of the pitman arm close to the splines, then hitting it with the puller. Seems appropriate that the thinner metal would allow more flex...

K

#6 ·
I'm not sure a pickle fork would even work to get the pitman arm off the box. I have always just used a 20 dollar pitman arm puller. It is worth the money. The cheap ones say not to use pneumatic tools to turn them. It really doesn't take that long though even just using a socket wrench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.