point of a rat rod - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 06:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Yeah, some of the hot rod requirements here are actually pretty easy to do, and very sensible.

A workable tail shaft loop, and dual circuit brakes are no trouble at all to fit to any newly constructed rod, and those are both mandatory here too.

Whoever wrote the street rodding regulations here in Australia must have been a real keen street rodder himself, that understands what is reasonable, and safe.
The rules are still pretty wide allowing much free expression, while spelling out minimum requirements that are entirely practical and well thought through.

There is no way a POS death trap rat rod could ever get number plates here.

But you can still build a well engineered street rod and make it LOOK like a rat rod if that is to your tastes.

The only disadvantage of doing that, is every police officer out on the street that sees you, will pull you over and go right right through the car. If it looks like a real POS from a distance, it may take some convincing to persuade the cop that it is actually both safe and fully legal. He may still put it off the road anyway if he is a bastard, and cost you a lot of time and inconvenience getting it back on the road.

Me, I would rather have something that people envy and admire, than something that look like it has just been dredged out of deep mud from the river.

Advertisement

Last edited by Silver Shaddow; 07-26-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 05:07 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I like them all!!!!!As long as it's safe. Hot rods and street rods and rat rods,Are like people,There are all kind of them, Good and bad.That's what makes this Place different From all the rest.I look at a build as art,Some good and some bad.But to me It's all art!!!!!!
^^^^^^^^
What he said - - what's the definition of Rat Rod, anyway
Old 08-06-2008, 01:35 AM

Last photo:

What is the point of the car hobby ?

The bottom line for me is to have as much fun as I can during the time I have left. I have owned and built 3 vehicles in my lifetime,a custom pickup,a street rod and a so called rat rod.I have had more fun with the rat rod. I have seen enough Corvettes,57 Chevys and PT cruisers to last me a life time -but I sure dont hate them . I still take the time to walk completly around one of them ocassionaly.Some of you guys need to lighten up a bit. There is room for everybody,from the first time builder to the guy who pays someone to build it for him. I designed and built my last 2 houses, but I still enjoy looking at a house that the owner had someone else build for him. Take some time to enjoy instead of hating.LFE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00241[1] (2).JPG
Views:	114
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	31651   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00244.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	31652   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010363 (Small).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	31653  
Old 08-09-2008, 09:40 AM

Last journal entry: my 50 ford coupe

ratrods explained

dear mr mopar that no hot rodder ever drove except don garlits.A so named rat is our rejejeton of the phony rich <,wheres the batter crowd that are not real hot rodders.A real rodder would ever have to ask this question cause we all know,you see in the day we were out casts but there was a brotherhood.no money.all was in our car no time for paintor interiors or any thing but lighten and speed equipment,all of us any way most of us dove em while we built them.You are not a member of that bunch I gather.today the term rat rod can easily be abused and is alot.I am a memer but who cares ,mpars chevvys fods kaisers buicks, whatever love em all.they are all rats to a diablo owner.arent they?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 PM
72 deville

rat rods

I think that most of the peoples idea of building a rat rod is getting the cheapest, fastest car built using anything at their disposal to do it.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:52 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:

rat rods

Why do so many cut down the rat rod, when i have yet to see on any TV station of a ratrod killing someone. Yet Yet everyday people are killed by cars being built by all major companys are killing people everyday and no one says a thing about them. Hate is such a bad thing and has no place in this great hobby. Back when i was 15 and 16 we built hotrods out of any old body we could find and used parts off any car we could take for free. These were days of good old hotrods and no one was ever hurt in our area, and we did some stupid things. To many think a $70,000.00 car is a safe car, but there is no such thing as a safe car and never will be. If someone does not build what we like we cut it down. I feel sorry for those who think that way.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:59 PM

I am all for lightening a car to make it go faster.
But rust holes, and having no brakes is going a bit too far.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Rat Rods

I had long ago decided that I HATE ratrods. period. Then it was pointed out to me that virtually EVERY car I have ever built can be considered a "ratrod", because I never give a lot of thought to APPEARANCE.

For example: My '57 Chev. Had it 22 years now. (in fact, 22 years this week!)

It was a "3 on the tree" 6 when I bought it. Now it has: Blueprinted 350, 700R4, SuperBell Front discs, new suspension pieces including ball joints, tie rod ends, poly bushings, front & rear sway bars 605 steering conversion, new rad, (and heater core), new Micheline tires, halogen headlights .

BUT - it has its original seats, with el-cheap-o seat covers hiding the worst of the rips, and it was last painted by the previous owner about 25 years ago, so it has nicks & scratches and scars, and a couple of rust spots now appearing.

It also has a class 4 hitch and tows my travel trailer to weekend rod runs yet does mid-13's at the strip. It has passed the NSRA inspection process every time.

Rat rod? Well, it could use paint & interior, plus buffing the stainless and re-chroming bumpers etc, but those are just SO far down my list of priorities.......
Old 08-11-2008, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

As far as I am concerned it don't matter what it looks like rust holes or not,it has to be safe..Period. No exceptions. If not for the driver then for whom ever may get run into by one of these things that have no brakes or whatever hacked together modification that is present. The trend I see and hate the most besides the previous stated obvious lack of safety items is the lack of floor pans. The drive shaft is spinning one inch from your side. what happens if you ,your chick or Heaven forbid a child gets their clothes or hair caught in this spinning shredder? I mean come on how safe is a car with no floors. I have said before and i will say it again...We will ALL suffer from this trend of unsafe rat rods..the cops do not know the difference so we will all get the negative branding. JMO Tim
Old 08-11-2008, 05:06 PM

That is what worries me too.

The cops will be sitting in their squad car on the side of the road with their coffee and donuts. just watching the traffic....

Hey Joe, here comes one of them death trap hot rod things, lets really nail this guy.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Old 08-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

I suppose that the only thing I don't understand about this wholte "rat rod" mess is why some of these guys spend a small fortune making the car look like a turd when they could've gotten a half-arsed paint job for less, and the car would look better.

Larry
Old 03-05-2010, 06:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyjim
dear mr mopar that no hot rodder ever drove except don garlits.A so named rat is our rejejeton of the phony rich <,wheres the batter crowd that are not real hot rodders.A real rodder would ever have to ask this question cause we all know,you see in the day we were out casts but there was a brotherhood.no money.all was in our car no time for paintor interiors or any thing but lighten and speed equipment,all of us any way most of us dove em while we built them.You are not a member of that bunch I gather.today the term rat rod can easily be abused and is alot.I am a memer but who cares ,mpars chevvys fods kaisers buicks, whatever love em all.they are all rats to a diablo owner.arent they?
Good job Pappy... I still dont think they'll get it though...Its like trying to explain sex to a virgin.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 AM

I guess to each his own. I rarely give one a second look.

The thing I laugh at is on E Bay or any other place you look for parts, anything that is rusted or almost junk is now advertised as a "Rat Rod" part. Anything to get it sold and put money in the pocket, I guess.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:05 PM
66 mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyfasteddie
The bottom line for me is to have as much fun as I can during the time I have left. I have owned and built 3 vehicles in my lifetime,a custom pickup,a street rod and a so called rat rod.I have had more fun with the rat rod. I have seen enough Corvettes,57 Chevys and PT cruisers to last me a life time -but I sure dont hate them . I still take the time to walk completly around one of them ocassionaly.Some of you guys need to lighten up a bit. There is room for everybody,from the first time builder to the guy who pays someone to build it for him. I designed and built my last 2 houses, but I still enjoy looking at a house that the owner had someone else build for him. Take some time to enjoy instead of hating.LFE

what he said, couldnt say it any better than eddie

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.