point of a rat rod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 06:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

point of a rat rod

what the heck is the point of a rat rod?can someone explain it to me?i hate rat rods because they are old american icons that got abused som much that the owner was to cheap to do body work and get the dang thing painted.

my $.02

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

point of rar rods

Only time will tell.

O, by the way here's your change $.01
Old 07-20-2008, 08:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The vast majority of rat rods are someone's interpretation of what cars were like back in the day..... Unfortunately 99.9% of the builders don't have a clue what it was like because they were't there. So..... the result is a POS car built to someone's idea of what a rod was, and the truth is that what they build is so far off it's almost criminal.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

That being said, there are some pretty cool and innovative cars out there.......Fastluckyeddie on another board, I think hes on here too, has one of them.

The biggest problem I see with the term "Rat Rod" is....Even the rat rodders can't seem to agree exactly what a rat rod is................
Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: grill and rear end
Last photo:

Around here a rat rod is a car built on the cheap but still safe.On the other hand I have been to shows that call that old school and a POS that was purposely built unsafe and ugly is a rat rod.So I guess it depends where you are,but in my definition I like rat rods but in the other definition I think they are unsafe POS vehicles.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:35 PM
NO trailers just DRIVE IT

Last photo:

rat rods

My thoughts of rat rods are they are a joke. Why would any self respecting car guy build something that is rotting away. They go as far as to strip the paint off to make the thing rust. *** If everyone continues building those d@mn things there will not be any of the cars around in years to come for people to enjoy. So they think their the best car guys well guess what I wouldnt even consider them as car guys they are destroying a whole generation of cars. If you think you are being traditional with building a rat your really not you a doing just the opposite the people that built these rods in the 50s and 60s had a dream. A dream of a hot rod a custom something decent to look at something to impress people to show them that they could take a 30 year old car build it shine it up and out run any of the new cars being produced. My point is to all you Rat Rodders out there you are destroying the cars that you love think about it so step out of this little pathetic world your in where rust and splatter welds are cool and get some class and finish something as the guys in the 50s and 60s wanted to.

Chop
Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Everyone has their own opinion ... but most of the RAT rods I see are plain out pieces of POO ... built by a cheap, spend no money Son Of a Biscuit eater ... and are too cheap to built a decent car.

They draw attention at the shows and events just like horse POO draws Flies .. and for the same reason ... because they are (.... )

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-20-2008, 09:43 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u Windows are in
Last photo:

I can't say I enjoy the cars (rat rods). Where I'm from mostly gen x'ers and y's bulid them. I think it cools that the youngs are playing with the old iron. The other thing I see with the groups here is a late 50's - 60's pop culture kinda thing. They seem to have it down and every now and then I run across a really creative car. They really do their homework and for the life of me I can't figure out how they afford to buy really high dollar nastalgia parts to bolt on a rust bucket...but to each is own.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

Wow....lol
I thought when I found this site that it might not be like some other forums filled with clicks. The more I read though, the more I see it's pretty clicky around here.
I've seen some pretty rude things said looking through the posts on here. One thing that really stuck in my mind was a guy asking for help locating a frame to put an old car on. Someone had the nerve to tell him if he was going to drop it on a late model frame he might as well not even build it. Wow
Why in the world does it have to be done the way you would do it or it's a POS?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I like them all!!!!!As long as it's safe. Hot rods and street rods and rat rods,Are like people,There are all kind of them, Good and bad.That's what makes this Place different From all the rest.I look at a build as art,Some good and some bad.But to me It's all art!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Old Fart but ***** Newbie!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
The vast majority of rat rods are someone's interpretation of what cars were like back in the day..... Unfortunately 99.9% of the builders don't have a clue what it was like because they were't there. So..... the result is a POS car built to someone's idea of what a rod was, and the truth is that what they build is so far off it's almost criminal.
So true. It is mostly the "lost" youth trying to regain something that never belonged to their generation... instead of creating something new for their own generation. "Poser" rods owned by poser greasers (Gen-Yers in pressed jeans and vintage tees!) and displayed with their poser Betty Pagers girl friends - with more tatts that skin!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdig
Someone had the nerve to tell him if he was going to drop it on a late model frame he might as well not even build it. Wow
Why in the world does it have to be done the way you would do it or it's a POS?
They were most likely just telling the guy THE TRUTH ...
The guy telling him that ... may have been me ... Chassis swaps have a failure rate of 20 to 1 or so. I mean successful chassis swap. Not some abortion ...

Some inexperienced ( and usually a too cheap type of builder ) or BOTH ... tries to put a chassis under something that just does not work. The thought is to gain IFS, better brakes and other modern upgrades under a older vehicle. All that sounds good ... but it reality, it just does not work out

1) wheelbase
2) frame width
3) body support from the chassis
4) tread width
5) steering box location
6) body mounts
7) radiator supports
8) fuel tank neck issues

And a lot of smaller problems like getting the doors and deck lids to open and close with decent gaps ... make chassis swaps impractical as a general rule.

In my 40 plus years of messing with old cars ... there have only been 3 types of successful frame swaps that I have seen.

1) Model A onto 32 Ford chassis
2) 49 to 51 Mercury onto a Olds chassis
3) Some S-10 swaps under 50's era pickups.

All were done by experienced builders.

Have you ever removed a body and then installed it back onto the same frame ( or another frame the same make and model ... a replacement frame ) ??

It is a TON of work even getting everything lined back up on the original frame Much less a different make, model frame

I have ... and it is NOT a simple task ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-21-2008, 01:07 AM

Last journal entry: 74 Chevy Cheyenne Super Custom Deluxe

Me to NEW INTERIORS

I agree totally I think as long as it is safe and not a POS then to each their own.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Tired old shiftworker

Last photo:

Quote:
I thought when I found this site that it might not be like some other forums filled with clicks. The more I read though, the more I see it's pretty clicky around here.
Because a lot of people here don't like the looks of a rat rod or call them junk it's clicky? Geee I guess a lot of us can't think on our own if that's your opinion. I personally think they are ugly as sin. I steer away from them at a car show. Some people like them and that's cool but don't put everyone in the same group because they don't like them. That would be juvenile.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper64
Geee I guess a lot of us can't think on our own
Isn't that what these guys running these cars are doing, thinking on their own?
They aren't 'posing' they're just doing what they like.
And yes, sites like this are often clicky because in most cases 90% of the posts are made by 10% of the membership.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.