Hot Rod Forum banner

points queation

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  1971BB427 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm changing the points in a 1971 Buick Riviera, 455 and just had a question on the points I'm putting in vs what is coming out.

The factory points have something else attached to them. will my new points work?
old points on left, New on right

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The factory points in your picture on the left have the points and condenser(capactior) intergrated as one single replaceable unit. The new points shown on the right will need a seperate condenser added to work properly. Most points systems had the points and condenser seperate and were to be changed together as part of an ignition tune up.

The condenser performs several electrical functions, but mainly it contributes to the resonance of the duration of the spark is sustained and implements a good flame front. It also minimizes arcing at the contacts of the points at opening and reduces contact burning and maximizes point life.

To use the new points you have, you will need to purchase seperately the correct replacement condenser, which is mounted to the advance plate in the distributor and connected to the points with its attached wire. It will probably be easier to purchase a new matched set of points and condenser similar to those your are removing.

If you install the new points you have without a condenser, the points will burn up in short order and need replacing again.

You need either the Airtex/Wells 4P1222 or Standard Motor Products DR3575C or AC Delco D118 points and condenser set.

#6 ·
Odds are your car had a separate point/condenser when new, and someone put in the combo unit later. I bet your plate has the screw hole, and locating nubs for a separate points/condenser as you have now. I wouldn't waste much time trying to find another combo like the old set. I'd get a separate condenser, and a screw, and put them in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.