Hot Rod Forum banner

Points question (Hey Doc!)

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  lanierledford 
#1 ·
How about an explanation on how to set the dwell angle on my 235. I did a search but no luck. Assume I know nothing.

#5 ·
Save your money and buy a kit to remove the points.

Why have such a old system in your car? Pertronix has kits that fit right into the distributer like the points but are all electronic. (There are other companies out there that is just one of them.)

The best part of those kits is that you set them once and can forget about it. You will not have to question the condition or the setting of your points again!

I think they run about $100.

Tim

#7 ·
Considering I had to reset my dual points every 3 months to maintain peak performance I would never put another set into a car when electronic alternatives exist that cost less than a meter to read point dwell.

Unless you are restoring I would get an electronic alternative like Pertronics.

#8 ·
Yeah my friend and I went through this problem with his 68 327 vette. Thing always ran like crap, so we picked up all the equipment to adjust it from murrays. The guy was like "there are cars that still have points?!"

it ran ok if you had it adjusted properly. It was, admitedly, a bit inconsistant.

He's since ditched the kit for MSD. I don't think he likes that much either (MSD isn't really as great as its made out to be).

Mallory makes some quality ignition stuff-

K

#10 ·
some people just don't like anything they don't understand, hence wanting to stay with points. 10 years ago a friend of mine wanted to convert his 4cyl Nissan from electronic ignition to points ignition, because he feared of not knowing what to do if the electronic system failed on the road. Most ignition modules are now cheap enough to buy one to keep as a spare in your glovebox. Even you don't understand how to diagnose a faulty system, anyone can at least replace a module as a process of elimination - specially as modules are usually the first component to fail.

#12 ·
I discovered why I was a bit confused. My distro does not have the slot to adjust the dwell. The points don't have the dwell adjust either. All it has is the screw to adjust the gap and the screw to tighten the same. Also discovered a vacuum hose loose. This was screwing up everything. Tomorrow I'll set the timing.

#14 ·
hey Doc

The old tail was that that capsule that can with the points was for the headache, caused by the points. I had a friend who did it. It helped his bowl movement, don't know about the headache.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.