Pole barn education? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

well I don't have a baby on the way, and my girl has her own job!!! Rent is expensive around here, figure out of town I could get someting decent. I'm just saying its worth looking into. I make about 30 grand, which isn't bad for a young single guy, I think I could handle it!

K

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The biggest thing is SHOP AROUND. My neighbor came down lastnight and asked me about building a garage. He kind of wants to copy mine. He did get two estimates though for just a four walled, plain roof, no driveway garage with a couple of fluorescent lights and drywall. One was 19 thou and the other for the same thing was 35 thou. WhooHoo talk about a price difference. One guy pockets 9 grand while the other pockets about 25 grand. Man I gotta change lines of work!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

holy god... I dunno if I could afford all that! I'll keep my eyes open, lots of times when you want to buy something expensive it takes a good few months of learning what to look for and what things are going for to know what, when and where to buy. I'll take my time, maybe it will happen, maybe not, but it sure would be nice to stop throwing money away on rent-

K
Old 07-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Look in the flyers for different lumber companies. They put package deals together for about 4-6 different sizes of garages. The last I looked at was from a Carter Lumber ad last week. If I remember correctly the price for a 24' x 32' was roughly $4200.00. That included roofing, trim, siding, and garage door, and entrance door. Windows are usually extra along with paying extra for an insulated garage door. Then all of the foundation work is extra cash spent out. Also at that price there is no drywall, insulation or electric. But it does give you a place to start figuring. And with the cost of lumber at the moment it is not too bad a deal because all the materials are figured up for you. For that size of a garage a foundation and floor will probably run in the neighborhood of $3000.00 give or take. That depends on the lay of the land, how much gravel fill you need, and how many courses of blocks needed. Maybe a little less on flat ground. But like I said earlier you have to shop around because the prices of labor varies immensly. I seen people pay out the wazoo and get a crappy job, and I've seen people that was really, really pleased and not cost much at all. Shop around, get references, go look at ones different people has had built and ask who did theirs. I've learned quite a bit over the years and had to end up doing things myself because a lot of people were out to screw others on jobs, so I know what things cost and how much work actually goes into building a garage or something similiar. My other neighbor started a garage about 2 weeks ago and he is almost finished other than the inside. And that was only working on it on weekends and a few hours a night. Ig you have a garage built about the size I mentioned above, by having someone do it, you can expect somewhere in the price range of around $10,000.00. Have the floor and block done and do the rest yourself and you can expect to pay around 2/3rds of that price. Hopefully this has given you something to go on. Good luck and keep us updated.

Kevin
Old 07-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Pessimist=Optimistw/Experience

Last journal entry: Back to the Project
Last photo:

Well I need to weigh in on this one... Since I am a Architect by trade. There are a lot of factors to consider in the building of a pole barn/shop. I personally have built only two in my life (both of them for my brother) But I got free mechanical service out of my labor and effort.

The first one was a pole barn 20x40 just enough room for a car some tools and life's other crap that we all collect. the lot was small however and space was limited. Over all cost was around $6000.

The second was a prefab metal building (we did stand in the bucket of a tractor and lived to tell about it). The garage is about 40x60 enough room for tools two cars, wood working tools and all the crap that we collect. the cost on that was $3000 for the building (bought it from a neighbor) $1000 bucks in concrete and than electrical (my dad is a electrician so it was cheep).

The things that you need If you look at my picture album it has pictures of my Impala in the prefabbed metal building I think that it will give you some idea of the space.

The things that you need to look at are the local building codes and city zoning. Variances are not a fun process even for those us that do them every day.

The other thing to consider in the cost is what you are willing to do yourself. In my case when I have the room I plan on building my own garage but I also spent time working construction (framing, and concrete) so I am willing to do those jobs my self and with my farther as a electrician I am set. The More that you do on your own the less that it cost (unless a lot of mistakes are made)

I hope this helps if You have questions let me know.....

Good Luck..............

Old 07-16-2004, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

I'm not a builder by any stretch but I have helped in bulding 3 garages in the past 3 years, one of which we affectionately call the "garage-ma-hall". Two of these were built for streetrodding buddies of mine. Just a suggestion, are their any Amish folks in your area? I have a friend who hires them all the time to build. When they say it will be done on this date for this amount of money....it will be done. Just something to check out.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:21 AM
POOR SEND HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cornfieldcars
I'm not a builder by any stretch but I have helped in bulding 3 garages in the past 3 years, one of which we affectionately call the "garage-ma-hall". Two of these were built for streetrodding buddies of mine. Just a suggestion, are their any Amish folks in your area? I have a friend who hires them all the time to build. When they say it will be done on this date for this amount of money....it will be done. Just something to check out.
This is very true and alot of times they will even take some money off for things in trade if you have something they want. I know many people that have used them here in East Central Iowa and there work is good and on time or very damn close.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:56 PM

Here in Florida, we don't have to worry about snow loads and we have an abundance of 'manufactured housing...' (aka "wobblies"). If the wobbly builder engineers and builds the trusses and then the homeowner changes something, they pretty much give away the trusses. (I know they are 2 X 3 construction) but they are engineered for the double wides and stronger than you would think. We used them to put up a 30 X 30 Pole barn for a friend. The trusses were 16' halves - glued, screwed and then we scabbed on 1/2 " thick plywood gussets on both sides of the peak making a 32' clear span truss. Another benefit was their weight - 1 guy can lift the truss up to the other guy on the header. We only screws for the trusses & purlins. Hanging them was a breeze. I was a little anxious until we screwed everything together. It made a very strong enough roof - enough for my 300lb butt to walk on and not have it sag. We DID use hurricane clips on both sides of the trusses where they rest on the header. (living out in the sticks, we view building codes as "guidelines...").

Cost of the trusses was - $7.00 per half - about $16.50 per truss. Total cost fo the trusses, gussets & purlins was under $200. Sheeted it with 5V - tin.

If there are manufactured housing companies around your area, you might ask them what they do with unusable trusses.

49 T&C
Old 07-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

ha ha, that's what I'm talkin about! You guys have obviously been there and done that. Figured I would get some advice! Seems like if I'm creative I can get the structure built, just need to figure out where to put it!!!

K

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.