Pole barn education? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2004, 07:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Pole barn education?

Maybe some of you who have actually bought property and land in your day can give me an education about this.

It occurred to me the other day that I'm outgrowing the use of the facilities that are available to me. My tools lack organization, space, usefulness and safety because of it. I'd like to say I'm in the market for a shed or a pole-barn, but honestly I have really no idea about what to spend. My idea is that I could get a pole barn somewhere rural (lots of rural spots out where my parents stay). Obviously I would have to purchase the land that it sits on too, right? What could I expect to pay for a shed (big enough for a couple three cars side by side)? I'd like a concrete floor, but would settle for something else.

Any ideas?

K

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004, 10:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

IN Michigan. First you will have to find out your zoning! Most zoned land will not allow an out building without a dwelling on the property. The exception is land that has been divided or some zoned AG lands. Most zoning will not allow for an out building larger then the dwelling. Minimum sq ft. being 1200. There are ways around but they require variances. This has to be done before the zoning board. The zoning boards tend to go by the "Golden Rule" . That is He who has the gold makes the rules (or can bend them). Been there several times in both lower and upper Michigan..

There are great differences in cost. In the southeast Mich. area the cost is almost double the north west erea.

I had some storm damage to one building. I removed all the damage and was going to repair the building myself. But in my area all construction has to be done by liscenced contractor with professional prints and about 5 extra permits. Total cost for 16x12 area was over $8000.oo.

On my property up north. I had a company build a 24x36 basic pole building. All I needed was one permit. The barn company came out levelled the grade and put up the building in two days. Total cost was less than $5000.oo. A nice building.

So shop around..

My next building is going to be a bit unconventional see here www.silverstreamshelters.com in many places a permit isn't needed.

also http://grantnelson00.tripod.com/silv...lters/id1.html

Last edited by BOBCRMAN@aol.com; 06-29-2004 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:54 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

[color=aqua]KF, if your thinking about building something out in the country, where you or someone you trust won't be around to halfassed keep an eye on your stuff, make damn sure it is securable. nothing like going out to the shop to do some work only to find you've been relieved of all of your tools.[/color]
Old 06-29-2004, 12:14 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Killer-
I have about 15,000 wrapped up in my finished 30x40 polebarn. Includes electric, cable tv, telephone. No water. I did all the work myself, except pouring the floor. Its shown on the post about showing your shops.

Jeff
Old 06-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

yeah my parents live out in SW michigan. I figure it would be an investment. Heck, if I move, I can rent or sell the thing! Electric would be nice, I could probably do heat with a big propane tank (seen it done in the past) and tack up some insulation (probably most important on the ceiling right?)

sounds like I'd need something around 12x18 or 18x24 or so. I guess what I'm picturing is something sitting on a small piece of property in the sticks that faces a road. Spoze I'd have to look into zoning too.

My dad sure does have a lot of extra stuff, old van he doesn't know where to put either... certainly doesn't want it at his nice new house! Maybe I can sucker him into going in half with me for a place to put his goods too... lol

K
Old 06-29-2004, 12:48 PM
POOR SEND HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by killerformula
yeah my parents live out in SW michigan. I figure it would be an investment. Heck, if I move, I can rent or sell the thing! Electric would be nice, I could probably do heat with a big propane tank (seen it done in the past) and tack up some insulation (probably most important on the ceiling right?)

sounds like I'd need something around 12x18 or 18x24 or so. I guess what I'm picturing is something sitting on a small piece of property in the sticks that faces a road. Spoze I'd have to look into zoning too.

My dad sure does have a lot of extra stuff, old van he doesn't know where to put either... certainly doesn't want it at his nice new house! Maybe I can sucker him into going in half with me for a place to put his goods too... lol

K
If you want three cars side by side plus space to work plus space to store you will need much bigger than 18x24. 24x24 is a small double garage. I would go for atleast 40x30 and maybe even 60x40 or so.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

wow that big? Well I just have the one car, so i could afford to have a smaller place. If I get somebody to go in on it with me, we'd need space for at least two rides, probably some tools and workspace. So in that case, I think you're right, I'd need to look into a much larger structure-

K
Old 06-29-2004, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

[color=aqua]the shop i was in while i did my truck was 25x30. there was room for the truck, the other crap i and my bro-in-law have, and not much else. you wanna have a paint booth you can leave up? or have to store somehow after use? a dedicated surgical clean assembly area? etc,etc,etc......
your young and sounds like your gonna be roddin' awhile..... stuff accumulates...... or ****** happens?.....
trust me, get at least a 60x40. you'll kick yourself for going small.[/color]

Last edited by crazy larry; 06-29-2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

you'll have to forgive what a novice I am at this, I've really only ever financed a car. Are there places to look for these structures that are already built? Is there a magazine or some such publication in which people sell polebarns, or is what I'm asking generally not normal?

K
Old 06-29-2004, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

let me say, i've not built a shop.

i look online, usually under a search for fabricated metal buildings, or whatever, and check prices for materials, most 'kits' i've found are sold unassembled, shipped truck freight, which means, you have to have a trailer big enough to unload and haul it to your site, which can be a real pain in the rear, since this stuff is pallet shipped..... but let that not discourage you. you can hire someone, or may have to, due to local codes, to assemble, build, whatever, it for you, or maybe you know someone with a tractor,you'll have to have a way to get the uprights in place. i've seen people in the bucket of a frontend loader do it. ???.... first thing you need to do is find out the code for the area your wanting to build in. that might limit some options right there.....

google on pole barns
google on michigan building codes
google on fabricated metal buildings
Old 06-29-2004, 07:57 PM
POOR SEND HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy larry
let me say, i've not built a shop.

i look online, usually under a search for fabricated metal buildings, or whatever, and check prices for materials, most 'kits' i've found are sold unassembled, shipped truck freight, which means, you have to have a trailer big enough to unload and haul it to your site, which can be a real pain in the rear, since this stuff is pallet shipped..... but let that not discourage you. you can hire someone, or may have to, due to local codes, to assemble, build, whatever, it for you, or maybe you know someone with a tractor,you'll have to have a way to get the uprights in place. i've seen people in the bucket of a frontend loader do it. ???.... first thing you need to do is find out the code for the area your wanting to build in. that might limit some options right there.....

google on pole barns
google on michigan building codes
google on fabricated metal buildings
Just a matter of saftey I know people do it all the time but I would never stand in the bucket of a tractor. I know roughly a dozen people that have been killed or hurt doing this. Not a very safe thing. Just my own view.

I would have some one come in and build the basic building and then do what you can on your own from there.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:12 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

As a young guy, you may consider RENTING a garage or small building.. Worth looking into.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

yeah I have looked into that kind of thing. For the most part they're way over-priced, and you're basically throwing your money away, because when you're done you have nothing to show for it. Maybe I'll just look into buying a small house in the future here, then stick something behind it. Maybe I could even include it in the mortgage...

K
Old 06-30-2004, 02:54 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

God, this brings back memories....

22 y.o with baby on the way
4 br cape with attached garage WOO WHOO !!! 14x20 butt...
1/4 acre lot (60' wide)
$46,900.00 (Making $6.00/hour)

<Shudder>
<cold chill runs up spine>
<twitch>
Old 06-30-2004, 03:31 PM
POOR SEND HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Beenaway2long
God, this brings back memories....

22 y.o with baby on the way
4 br cape with attached garage WOO WHOO !!! 14x20 butt...
1/4 acre lot (60' wide)
$46,900.00 (Making $6.00/hour)

<Shudder>
<cold chill runs up spine>
<twitch>
Oh dear

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.