Polished up my exhaust tip - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Polished up my exhaust tip

If some of you will recall, after hurricane Katrina flooded the city of New Orleans, I got a set of exhaust tips off of a friends 2005 Grand Prix that had been destroyed by the waters. I finally got around to polishing one of them up today to put onto my '01 Malibu.

I started by sanding everything down with 150 grit sand paper, my dremel tool equiped with a 60 grit sanding drum and a metal file (for the riased lettering on the bottom). I used the dremel to knock down all the rough surfaces and get the aluminum somewhat smooth enough to sand. The file came in handy to level out all the raised lettering that was cast onto the bottom of the tip, that would have taken forever by hand. Once the tip was reletively smooth, I began sanding by hand with the 150, then 250, followed by 350 & 400 wet sanding. Once sanded smooth, i broke out my bottle of Blue Magic Metal Polish and a few old rags and began rubbing away. I then decided to try something else (out of boredom) and grabbed the Dremel with a cotton wheel. Using the cotton wheel and the blue magic, I polished until I was happy with the results. The exhaust tip came out pretty nice, there are still some scratches on it, and it doesn't look quite like Chrome, but I am happy with what I have, heck, it is going on my daily driver, lol.

The polished tip next to the untouched tip:

The 2 tips again:

The polished tip:

Chris

Edit: Doh, why did I put this in the Garage Forum??? Meant to go in the General Section.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

I was wondering if your garage was carpeted!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:

LMAO.

Nah, brought the parts inside for the pic, didn't feel like taking the camera outside.

Chris

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.