Polishing Pistons ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 06:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Polishing Pistons ??

I got my new Speed Pro pistons for my re build next year,they have a smallish dome for open chamber BBC heads.The top of the dome is smooth and shiny,the rest of the top of the piston is rough and grey.I sat down for an hour or so with a peice of medium emery paper,a peice of green scotch brite pad and some aluminum polish.A little bit of elbow grease sure made a big difference,now I got the rest of the piston almost as shiny and smooth as the dome,plus I smoothed off the sharp edges.Before I continue on with this I was wondering if doing this is a waste of time or not ??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 08:50 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

not a waste of time- reduces carbon deposits and detonation
Old 12-07-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Hiltz
I smoothed off the sharp edges.
That is not a total waste of time, but if your not on the ragged edge not going to make a whole lot of difference. We certainly will dress the edges round the valve cutouts on top of a piston on a really high performance street engine or race engine. Does it help, who knows? Does it make you feel like your doing a better job, I guess.

Who's to say on the rough part of the piston the mixture and flame front might not like the rough surface better? Who knows? I don't.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

Guy -

I did essentially the exact same thing that you described on the SBC 405 that I have been building. What really happened was that I decided to "dress-up and smooth-out" some of the rough edges/spots on the cast Speed Pro pistons and they began to look so pretty that I couldn't seem to find a place to stop!!!!

Will it make any difference? I think that Rick hit it right on the head!

Did I "enjoy" it and feel that I was make a MAJOR contribution to the performance capability of my "custom built" engine? - Of course!! Everyone knows that chrome and shiney works better, goes faster and lasts longer!! And even if it doesn't - it sure is pretty!!!

texastomeh
Old 12-08-2006, 04:09 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Kinda off the thread, but in the sixties, Rolls Bought a few Gm Autos for testing. They disassembled them and rebuilt them to Rolls spec for fit and finish. In other words, they polished all rough surfaces and smoothed edges, When done the trans wouldnt work. Piston seals wouldn't seal. Just saying that all that's polished maybe shouldn't be.
Piston tops? Who knows. I would be inclined to think the rough surface would enable flame propagation through turbulance. Kinda like a smooth Golfball won't travel as far or fast as a dimpled one. .02

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.