Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Polishing spi universal (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/polishing-spi-universal-229463.html)

lukeembry 02-11-2013 08:34 PM

Polishing spi universal
 
What are you using to finish buff on your spi universal? I have mine cut and polished but not getting the shine I'd like to see. This is on red that is flat as glass and cut well just looking for ideas on steps and compounds after the cutting process.

35prog 02-11-2013 09:43 PM

Spi
 
I cut the trash down with 1500 (wet by hand), then cut orange peel with 2000, (wet /by hand)then hit it with abralon or trizac 3000 or 4000. Then Polish with 3m's 3 step system of compound, (wool pad) finesse (foam pad) and ultafina by hand with microfiber towel. Barry I think recommends presta products. Cut it and let it set a day in the sun or two days inside it will be amazing how nice it buffs after the surface is broken and it is allowed to gas out. I use spi clear exclusively and cant say enough about how nice it is to work with.

deadbodyman 02-15-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeembry (Post 1645352)
What are you using to finish buff on your spi universal? I have mine cut and polished but not getting the shine I'd like to see. This is on red that is flat as glass and cut well just looking for ideas on steps and compounds after the cutting process.

The one time I had that problem it was because I put more than two coats on at once (4 coats) and tried to buff it too soon....It hadnt cured completely even though it was two weeks later,Plus it was cold when I painted...it took almost two months before I could buff and polish it properly...
Now days I spray two coats and only two coats ,if I want more clear I spray two more coats after two days...and after sanding with 600-800 (of coarse)...to check to see if the clear is cured enough I press my finger nail into the clear to see if it leaves an indentation,if it does ,its not ready....

lukeembry 02-15-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman (Post 1646636)
The one time I had that problem it was because I put more than two coats on at once (4 coats) and tried to buff it too soon....It hadnt cured completely even though it was two weeks later,Plus it was cold when I painted...it took almost two months before I could buff and polish it properly...
Now days I spray two coats and only two coats ,if I want more clear I spray two more coats after two days...and after sanding with 600-800 (of coarse)...to check to see if the clear is cured enough I press my finger nail into the clear to see if it leaves an indentation,if it does ,its not ready....

thanks, i put on 3 coats on dec. 24 and it seems dry now but not getting the high polish i think i should be seeing. im going to polish again with a diffrent compound in the next week or so.

da34guy 02-15-2013 02:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just did this 1 with SPI Universial 3 coats.
next day busted it open with 1200, let it sit (in the shop( for 24 hrs.
Hit it with 1500, 2000, 3000 Trizact, 4000 trizact.
Buff with No compound just 3 M finesse glaze.

deadbodyman 02-17-2013 07:10 AM

I've never used that trizact paper but I will on my next job,I'm so sick of buffing it aint funny ...It makes a lot of sense to use sandpaper insted of an abrasive compound...Buffing sucks:sweat:

painted jester 02-18-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da34guy (Post 1646842)
Just did this 1 with SPI Universial 3 coats.
next day busted it open with 1200, let it sit (in the shop( for 24 hrs.
Hit it with 1500, 2000, 3000 Trizact, 4000 trizact.
Buff with No compound just 3 M finesse glaze.

In that #1 picture is the car finished?

Jester

da34guy 02-18-2013 08:27 AM

Nope, that's just outta the booth

painted jester 02-18-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da34guy (Post 1647646)
Nope, that's just outta the booth

:thumbup:

jester

lukeembry 02-19-2013 12:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here is my truck with spi universal, i ended up using meguiars 205 to finish the polishing and i think it looks great.

deadbodyman 02-22-2013 06:07 AM

I think your right ,it does look great...:thumbup:

mitmaks 02-22-2013 11:14 AM

Ive had best results with Meguiar's. I can't think of any Meguiar's product that I don't like, they all do their job if you know how to use them.

cyclopsblown34 02-22-2013 06:18 PM

It looks great!:D:thumbup:p


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.