Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   Poll: Manual or Auto transmission (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/poll-manual-auto-transmission-60868.html)

alex_0227 04-04-2005 03:35 PM

Poll: Manual or Auto transmission

What do you like better: manual or auto transmission? Put your oppinions too.

Alex

segge 04-04-2005 05:52 PM

Depends alot on what kind of car it is, and what its being used for.

alex_0227 04-04-2005 07:53 PM

Probably just daily driving. But still I'd like it to be able to move a lil', lay some rubber, that kind of stuff (Ill be in highschool by the time its done ;) ). Just wanna put those daddy's-SUV-drivin' punks in their place.

Alex

segge 04-04-2005 07:56 PM

Still depends on the car, but i would go with the manual. I think you will end up liking it, especially if you learn to drive with a manual car, you wont want to go back.

Big Blocks Rock 04-05-2005 12:11 AM

I love manuals so much, I put a reverse manual valve body in the trans of my Dodge. Having control is way better.

Chris

tbirdscott 04-05-2005 12:30 AM

I learned to drive on a manual and I love to drive a manual. But sometimes in the morning I doubt I would make it to work without the automatic....

bracketeer 04-05-2005 02:16 AM

standard tranny

Standard trannys are great in a Honda Civic. Save you tons on fuel. They are a serious disadvantage at the drag strip. Tranny brake on an automatic will take you out 7 out of 10 times. And a delay box will send you home 9 out of 10 times.

dei8fan 04-05-2005 11:37 AM

Automatic! too old and lazy to shift.

VWFan 04-05-2005 11:57 AM

I like to drive a manual as well. I think it makes me feel more in sync with the vehicle and how it is performing. My daily driver has the automatic with the manual shift option, so I get the best of both worlds! If I feel a little lazy automatic it is, but if I'm feeling a little racey it's nice to be able to drop a gear or two and hammer it!

M&M CUSTOM 04-06-2005 07:34 AM

I voted both.
When the transmission in my Malibu in my avatar gets to the point of needing rebuilt, it will be immediately replaced with a manual 4 speed.
When the transmission in my Suburban gets to the point of needing rebuilt, it will be immediately replaced with a manual 4 speed, I have been planning on swapping this one out anyway as I also plan on replacing the -ton drivetrain with -ton drivetrain parts, along with many other modifications.

I will admit that the 5-speed in my S-10 being replaced with an automatic is because of the costs involved and other problems associated with the engine I chose to swap into it, and the engine was removed from the car with a TH-400 that cost me nothing.

Hippie 04-06-2005 09:21 AM

Manuals are fun but a good automatic can be just as much fun. I have some great memories of the B&M TH400 in my old '67 GTO but that's another story. Nowdays I don't have any choice, my bum knees mandate an auto. Ever have your left knee lock up in the middle of a shift ? It sux.........

Gearhead forever 04-06-2005 10:14 AM

Standard's rule baby.....Automatics are for those who can only partly drive.....All kidding aside, you have much more control and its soooooo much fun. I'd have a manual in everything I drove city driving or not....Auto tranny's do fill two niches: simpler operation for those uninterested in the finer details of driving, and drag racing. I could care less about ET's since I don't race.......Imagine an auto in a road race car. Ewww.

spinn 04-06-2005 11:01 AM

nothing like shifting a tight manual box! cant even compare the 2 for the driving expirience.

killerformula 04-06-2005 12:16 PM

manuals are more fun, auto is more practical and consistant. Pick your poison.

K :confused:

pro70z28 04-06-2005 04:03 PM

I'm lookin' forward to ....... "trans brake button once" then "air shift button once"
Much easier for an old geezer like me to remember. :thumbup: