Hot Rod Forum banner

Poll which is better Electric or Air Tools?????

Poll: what is better electric or air tools....

5K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
I don't know if this has been done before, but which is better electric or air tools. You can do almost anything with electric tools as with air tools so what is better??????

#3 ·
Electric tools tend to be a lot bulkier and heavier than a pneumatic tool of comparable power plus they generally are not suitable for wet work areas. Some tools, an inline sander comes to mind, probably would be so bulky it would be impractical in an electric version, they might be available but I have never seen one. Electric hand tools are a lot more efficient and the operating cost is negligible where as air tools lose a LOT of efficiency by first having to convert the electric power consumed into compressed air (usually an inefficient process especially if using a single stage compressor) and then the tool itself is usually quite wasteful of energy consumed. The operating cost of an air hungry tool used a lot over time may be something to consider if someone is trying to be cost conscious.

#4 ·
I have both electric and air tools. If I am going to drill a hole I prefer using a electric drill over a air powered one. I agree with both HG and oldred, electric tools are bulkier but to use air tools one needs a good air compressor. Electric tools are cheaper and can do almost everything air powered tools do but somethings need air power. There are even somethings only electric tools can do, I wouldn't want to cut a piece of pipe with a air powered cut off, a portaband or a sawzall would be much more efficient. On the other hand I wouldn't want to use a belt sander to sand filler on my car, a airboard would be much better.

#6 ·
71 c-10 said:
i think for the most part air tools are the way to go. Electric tools, the only ones i use are a drill, and a 3/8's impact gun, that little dude is amazing!

I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of the air tools because there is big differance between brands and that would make a big differance, good air tools and they can't be beat. with a good compressor. ED ke6bnl

#7 · (Edited)
^^^ i 100% agree with you, since i work on cars for a liveing i only use quality stuff. All my air tools are Ingersal Rand products, except for my 1/4" air ratchet, that is a mac. We have two huge compressors at my work, not sure on size, and unless there is a mad leak they do a great job of keeping up.

never mind this edit im posting this from the library for me http://www.carnegiecouncil.org/viewMedia.php/prmTemplateID/3/prmID/175

#9 ·
its not really a question at which is better its more of a application of what and where to use it;

air tools run cooler and have no risk of being shocked
so if you are doing alot of wet sanding and polishing then a air buffer is the way to go

if you do mobile detailing then a electric buffer is the way to go

and to the latest technologies cordless

cordless has really come up through the ranks a 3/8 cordless impact is just as good as a air driven one provided the batteries stay charged

I have a buddy who dose construction and he has a Paslode gas nailer and he said its worth every penny because
there are no cords or hoses
no power source needed and goes all day long on 1 gas cartridge

some tools are far as I know dont have a equivalent as in a long board i dont think a electric one is made ..I could be wrong..never seen one

its a application thing at least to me how and where you plan on useing it

SR66 :thumbup:

#11 ·
ah Yea .. with a cordless impact ..Its called a 4 way lug wrench :D and a pipe

i dont work on semi's some heavy equipment back hoe's dozers tractors and a few dump trucks taking tires off of semi's is for the truck tire guy not me but yes I have a 3/4 drive impact ant the socket for the lugs too and that big damn 4 way

SR66 :thumbup:

#12 ·
Each has it's pros and cons, I like electric for the cutting, on the other hand air allows good precise control and is tops for grinding. You can put a speed control on the air tool that allows even better control. So they are both great and better then a hack saw or file

#13 ·
I haven't seen too many cordless air tools, and I use my cordless drill and screwdriver an awful lot. But to be fair, I use alot of air tools too. Can't beat a good air sander or die grinder. So I guess each has its own place in the shop and the job it has to do. Was that a good "politically correct" answer?

#18 ·
I can say as of today The differance between a electric D/A and a Air powered D/A is night and day, In favor of Air power. You just don't get the speed out of a Electric D/A as you do air. had a chance today after buying an air powered one to compaire back to back, Air wins for automotive work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.