Poly primer on 72 Skylark - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 07:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Poly primer on 72 Skylark

I finished all the bodywork on my 72 skylark and was going to spray it with evercoat slicksand. I bought an ultrapro napa hvlp gun and a 2mm tip to go with it. I've mixed it up twice and its done the same thing both times. It spray blotchy and doesn't atomize properly, it sprays on like a spray in bed liner. I am using a craftmen compressor (forget how many gallon, runs on 220v) set at 90psi with a gauge on the gun at 40 psi. I tried more pressure, less pressure, messed with the pattern and cannot get it to spray properly. I have contacted the evercoat rep and said he has never heard of the product doing this. I tried reducing it with acetone and helped but didn't solve it. I completely dissassmbled my gun and found nothing wrong! Would air hose size or a water filter have anything to do with it cause i'm outta ideas and quite frustrated! ha ha

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

I'd try bumping the pressure up a tad. I sprayed mar-hyde primer surfacer and it was lick spraying stucco! I thinned it just a bit and upped the pressure some, made a big difference!

Bob
Old 09-25-2009, 06:25 AM

Last photo:

Not sure what your problem is, but I would start by opening the regulator on the compressor to allow full pressure out of it , and only regulating the pressure down at the gun.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Last photo:

What is the ambient temperature your spraying at?

Vince
Old 09-25-2009, 08:56 AM

Last photo:

Make sure you don't have the cup filter in the gun (the little filter that is in the bottom of the cup). This could be your problem.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Does your air compressor deliver enough CFM of air to exceed the HVLP gun's needs? If not, you might not be getting enough air to properly atomize the primer.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

Take the strainer out. Thin it 10% with acetone, and spray it. That's as good as it gets with Slick Sand. It's gonna have a coarse texture.
People who say they can spray it fine with a 1.8 without thinning it are full of baloney.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:37 PM

I did take the strainer out of the cup. I'll check the cfm of the compressor when i get a chance, i think it was a couple cfm to low but figured i could take minor breaks to let it catch up. I haven't even sprayed for 10 seconds straight yet! Temp is about 20'C. It should at least lay flat should it now? If not i might just use a 2k primer?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

What is the GUN supposed to "spray at"?
This will determine what you require "air" wise.
Using a 2.0 tip will require MORE air to atomize properly. I find a 1.8 or even a 1.6 with HVLP guns and high CFM requirements to spray a little better.Yeah,Less build but better spray out and just apply more coverage coats if you need.First "job" I ever used G2 on was shot with a 1.6 HVLP and sprayed out nice.It was "slightly" splotchy but it was no big deal as I figured that was due to mixing as well as temps but no big deal.
Granted that Slick Sand or Feather Fill WILL be "grainy" at best but what the heck,your sanding it down and COVERAGE is what your after.Reducing it with Acetone DOES help with the texture aspect,However,it should NOT be Blotchy. This can also go back to how WELL it was STIRRED before mixing.
I always have my jobber SHAKE it before leaving,it may have set on the shelf for "awhile" before I get it and when I get ready to USE it,MIX WELL WITH A DRILL STIRRING TOOL or put on a Shaker. Either product WILL settle to the bottom and requires some SERRIOUS mixing before pouring out to mix with hardner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02885.JPG
Views:	1238
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	40883   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02886.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	40884  

Last edited by Bee4Me; 09-25-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

I have a cheap gun with a 2.0 tip for spraying polyester primer, even with that tip, I have to thin it 10% and cut the air up real high on the gun. As far as mixing, I had to use some the other night, I had about a quart left in a gallon can that had been sitting on my shelf a loooong time. Needless to say it was pretty chunky in the bottom of the can. It was late at night and I don't have a paint shaker or a paint stirrer.....I got a beater that goes in a kitchen mixer (thanks to my wife ) Put it in an electric drill, run it about 5-10 minutes and presto! Now I got a new "tool" in my box.

Jason
Old 09-25-2009, 11:15 PM

When it sprays there isn't even any over spray thats how bad it is. Its not like a mist really. My gun require 13cfm i believe and the compressor gives me 10 at 40psi. It also says my gun shouldn't go above 43 psi and was listed as its max pressure. I should also mention that the first gallon i tried was like you described, thick and gooey on the bottom and i thought that was the problem. After sanding the car down i got another gallon and had it shaken three times, once at the body shop and twice at the local hardware store, once directly before i mixed a cup full to spray it. I got frustrated (was only spraying on cardboard at this point) and decided just to see how much thinning it would take to make it spray properly. I had close to 1/4 of it acetone and still wasn't pleased with the way it sprayed. Talk about confused and frustrated, i need to get some color on my car before winter!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

i use urethane reducer with my slick sand it sprays alot better otherwise what you describe happens to me
Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

I agree with above. I seldom if ever spray polyester primer, but acetone is a pretty fast solvent. I think a quality urethane reducer would help. I know it made a big difference in laying down high build urethane primer, just switching from a faster reducer to a slower one (allow good flash time). And besides makeing sure it is mixed thoroughly and well, check to be sure your vent hole is kept clean, specially if a siphon feed gun. Thicker primers can tend to clog them. If the vent hole is clogged, a gun won't spray worth heck.
But hard to say, being as you stated your compressor doesn't have high enough ratings to match your gun. Not good if a gun is starving for air at all.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 PM

Well i sprayed it today and it started out bad, it was chattering a bit when i was spraying and finally figured out that the seat for the needle wasn't seating properly. Once i got that sorted out it started working really well. The only problem i was having was water coming out of the fitting by the gun! I have 2 air dryers coming out of the compressor and had been using the sander for a while previously, why would there be water in the air hose? I didn't have enough primer to do the entire car after i finally got everything running smoothly so i guess i'll have to buy another gallon, either that or use the gallon of 2k primer i have sitting there? Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

You need a filter as close to the gun as possible. A drip leg will help immensely if you install it before the hose to the gun. I try to keep my gun/tool hose to 25 ft or less in length and 3/8" inside diameter.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.