Polyester Filler dried 3 days later - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 10:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Polyester Filler dried 3 days later

I used some polyester filler on bare metal and I must not put enough hardener and took days to dry. Is this OK if it dries completely? or should I remove? I was wondering it of dried completely 3-4 days later it would have a bad long term effect? ie ; shrinking etc..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 10:46 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

Sounds risky to say it is ok...You have doubts or you wouldn't post a question like that. It may feel cured on top but inside there may by pockets under there where no hardener got mixed in at all. Most fillers including 2 part glazing putties should kick in and be ready to sand in 5 minutes. Best to remove and re- apply in this case..

Here's a thread that may help explain the different rates plastic filers sand...

http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=936

Of course there will be some hot dog who says it'll be fine but even you don't trust it..
Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 PM
boatbob2

putty

Take the putty off,it was NOT catalized properly,for long term rust protection,spray the car (or panels) with a 2k primer,then putty over the primer.if you sand thru the primer,re-primer it.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Elcamino
I used some polyester filler on bare metal and I must not put enough hardener and took days to dry. Is this OK if it dries completely? or should I remove? I was wondering it of dried completely 3-4 days later it would have a bad long term effect? ie ; shrinking etc..
TWICE I did that ,except I totally forgot the hardner...
Waaaaay back when feather fill first came out..(I was used to lacquer primer) but thats what we used back then...
heres what I learned....even if it feels dry it has to come off and its a PITA...but,
since you used the hardener it might be ok ,but dry sand it and see if it balls up on the paper ,if it does it has to come off...if it dont and it sands nice its probably ok....You just have ask yourself one question......Do ya feel lucky?
Needless to say, I had my fill and never used that stuff again,it sanded like a brick anyways and theres much better primers out there anyways ...I tried slick sand a few years ago its cheap but I hated it ,I stay clear from all those poly primers these days and stick to epoxies and 2k's only...heck I cant see good enough to count those little drops anyways ,4:1 is easy
Old 05-14-2011, 07:42 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
TWICE I did that ,except I totally forgot the hardner...
Waaaaay back when feather fill first came out..(I was used to lacquer primer) but thats what we used back then...
heres what I learned....even if it feels dry it has to come off and its a PITA...but,
since you used the hardener it might be ok ,but dry sand it and see if it balls up on the paper ,if it does it has to come off...if it dont and it sands nice its probably ok....You just have ask yourself one question......Do ya feel lucky?
Needless to say, I had my fill and never used that stuff again,it sanded like a brick anyways and theres much better primers out there anyways ...I tried slick sand a few years ago its cheap but I hated it ,I stay clear from all those poly primers these days and stick to epoxies and 2k's only...heck I cant see good enough to count those little drops anyways ,4:1 is easy
I've done that twice to with featherfill. Both times were at the end of the day working overtime. I guess I wanted to get home.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Elcamino
I say sand it off with 40 grit to what's under it. If anything is loose a 40 grit will expose it and tear it out if you sand enough of it off. A good indication of it's adhesion is to look at how it feathers out. If it's sporadic where certain areas feather nice but others have rough edges and not feathering well might as well scrap the idea of keeping. I'd remove it anyways with 40 grit on a block cause at this point it's a very easy thing to do. If there's paint on it and you get bulls eye or shrinkage THEN it's a hassle. When you play it safe in this trade you get few mistakes.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 AM

I miss read ...if your poly FILLER took 3 days to dry you definetly didnt use enough hardener and it HAS to come off...That stuff drys in minutes....What brand are you using???
Old 05-15-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69
I've done that twice to with featherfill. Both times were at the end of the day working overtime. I guess I wanted to get home.
I keeped checking for a week before I decided to scape it all off (what a pita) then I reprimed it again and the next dat I came back to sand it and my jaw dropped it was still soft,I did it again ....I couldnt believe I did it twice on the same car...The WHOLE car!!!!!! That was about 30 yrs ago and to this day think about it every time I see a tube of MEK hardner...
Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

waiting a couple days was a mistake too. The first time I did it I waited and I wasn't able to scrape it off/sand it off so easily. The second time I fessed up quickly and it scraped right off then I sanded off the few remaining boogers and reprimed. I'm very conscious of adding primer now so I'll look for the oxygen out gassing right in the cup before I throw it in the gun just to be sure, a little overly sure.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:37 PM

I'm just glad someone else fessed up...when I went and asked my friend that worked at a body shop how long it takes for that feather fill to dry the first thing he said (with a big grin)was did you forget the hardener???? but he never admitted he did it too..... I suspect he did...I think a lot of people did...
Old 05-15-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I'm just glad someone else fessed up...when I went and asked my friend that worked at a body shop how long it takes for that feather fill to dry the first thing he said (with a big grin)was did you forget the hardener???? but he never admitted he did it too..... I suspect he did...I think a lot of people did...
I under catalyzed it on a whole side of a car, let it cure for 3 days opened it up with 320 and let it sit for 3 more days. PITA!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.